Movie Update: Life of Pi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

With spectacular imagery of the sky, the water and the fully digital Bengal tiger, the latest Ang Lee film has been raved to be a visually orgasmic experience. Like in the scene depicted below, the morning sky is beautifully reflected across the horizon and onto the Pacific, mirroring the soft clouds and dull warm sun. It is a scene that contrasts heavily with the one just several moments before, where the calm water was transformed from large waves that raged with a thunderous storm and caused the sinking of a Japanese cargo ship on which the entire Patel family boarded.

For those of you who haven’t read the original novel by Yann Martel, the book tells the story of an Indian boy who survives a shipwreck with several animals from his father’s zoo. The constant terror of living in such proximity to carnivorous beasts is fully realized when the hyena attacks and kills both the injured zebra and the mother orangutan Orange Juice, but is then ultimately eaten by the tiger Richard Parker. Thus begins the adventures at sea of the boy Piscine Molitor “Pi” Patel and his tiger companion that include encounters with glowing whales and jellyfish, a school of flying fish and an island of meerkats.

The movie is definitely a different experience in comparison to the novel, especially in 3D. The fantastical scenery becomes extra magical when painted on screen. Even the opening of the film that renders a realistic India and authentic botanical zoo-garden is artfully created. The cultural splendor of India is portrayed with lovely flower markets, dancing women in colourful dresses, and traditional religious custom involving lit candles floating on the river.

Sources:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeofpimovie/
http://collider.com/ang-lee-life-of-pi-interview/199050/

Linguistics and Neuroscience double Major with a Minor in Psychology at the University of Toronto. I love sweet things, traveling, good books and horror movies :)
Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.