Move Over Canada Gooses, Spring Has No Place for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Spring is about to be sprung which means we can put away the chunky knits and legging-trouser hybrids in search for something lighter, fresher, and generally more uplifting. I think it’s safe to say that we’re all sick of the bipolar Canadian winters that leave us guessing how to dress appropriately for the unpredictable weather. I for one am ready to kick off my snuggly boots for cute kitten heels (let’s be real, five inch heels aren’t exactly practical campus wear). In the middle of rearranging my wardrobe yet again, I found some of my cold weather pieces that could easily transition into the spring. I personally don’t dress for every trend as much as I focus on what interests me and fits my style. Here are a couple of things I’m looking forward to rocking as the new season creeps around the corner.

Chunky, Capped Two-Tones, Kitten, Barely There.

Shoes are my obsession. Every outfit needs a good pair. For spring, I’m digging the always rad chunky heel (+1 for being easy to walk in!) to add an unexpected twist to simple outfit. For a classic look, I’m loving the two tone shoes or capped metal court shoes—so elegant and adds a little something to an otherwise plain pair of shoes. I’ve seen a few tweets about kitten heels being a sad excuse for heels, but I love them. They’re so dainty and feminine; they’re a great alternative to wearing flats (which offers no support, by the way). Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of skinny heeled-sandals around the blogosphere and runway that barely have any straps holding your feet in. Maybe not the most practical or comfortable, but I love how they make you look weightless. Paired with a flowing sheer top and shorts, it will instantly make you look as if you’re floating across the surface.

Photo sources (left to right, top to bottom): 1,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6

Nailed It.

Last week I walked into Trade Secrets to pick up a new nail polish to celebrate the end of my midterms for the semester. I overheard one of the sales ladies saying that apparently nail polish sales went up 15%. I can see why—polished nails are a great way to add subtle style to your outfit and keep up with the season’s current ‘it’ colour. I love my rich, vampy colours too much to part with them during the warmer months but when I do, I typically choose neutral creamy shades or pretty pastels (Essie is the queen of these). I’m not a huge fan of shimmer, but glitters will always have a place in my heart (Deborah Lippmann has a beautiful selection).

Photo sources (left to right, top to bottom): 
Butter London: 1,  2,  3,  4
Essie: 1,  2,  3,  4
Deborah Lippmann: 1,  2,  3,  4

Armed and Ready.

Last summer, stacked bracelets were very popular and they have been a continuous trend that will probably carry on into this summer as well. I personally recycle my jewelry more often than I do my clothes, each time changing up my look with a chunky statement ring or a delicate necklace. For a girl with long and lanky arms, I like to dress them up with a statement cuff or stack multiple bracelets with my trusty black and gold watch. Some people dress for their mood through their clothes, but I do that in my jewelry: statement pieces for when I’m feeling bold, pendants for lazy days and colour popping rings when I’m happy. But please, enough with the rose gold. It was cute the first 234354621 times.

Photo sources (clockwise): 1,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6,  7,  8,  9,  10,  11,  12 

What are you looking forward to wearing this summer? Are there any trends from last summer you just can’t say goodbye to? 

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.
Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.