This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

The start of your first year of university is a big transition. With so many new things, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed. Having an older, experienced student to talk to about school, social life, health and just about everything else can be a big help – and that’s why I’m so happy to have my mentor, Rawan Zahawi, a third-year U of T student, help guide me through the transition to university. From talks about what it’s like to be an international relations major to first year regrets, Rawan is a warm and supportive mentor and friend.

1. What are you currently majoring in, and why did you choose that major?

I am currently majoring in International Relations and minoring in Political Science and History. Looking back, I have always had a fond interest in politics, which I think came about as a result of my background as an Iraqi growing up in the Middle East. Living in the center of so many conflicts, tensions, and debates played a huge role in my interest in the field. As much as I enjoyed discussing politics when I was younger, I chose my major/minor path because I wanted to understand these issues in a more encompassing, intellectual manner. It’s one thing to comment on a statement that was just released, but it’s another to be able to explain the significance of that statement in terms of interests, background, and potential impact on the greater picture.

2. What interests you about international relations and political science?

I find that subjects like international relations and politics always push you to question things that you would otherwise take for granted. You can go into one class with a confident opinion about x event or x politician only to discover so many different sides to the story that you walk out with an entirely different opinion. In that sense, politics is not only complex but it is always changing, which means there is always something new to consider. I find that studying in this field fuels my interest in understanding the internal mechanisms guiding certain political decisions and interactions.

3. What is the Association of Political Science Students Junior Mentorship Program? Why did you decide to get involved as a mentor?

The APSS Junior Mentorship Program is a subject-specific program aimed at guiding first and second year students in their many diverse experiences studying Political Science at UofT. The program connects upper year students with lower year students with the intent of creating strong relationships built on a foundation of trust, communication, and a desire to learn from each other. I decided to become a mentor mostly because there was a lot I wish I knew about academics, social life, and psychological wellbeing in my first couple of years, that someone with slightly more experience could have helped with. In this sense, I considered getting involved in the mentorship program to be an accessible person to reach out to, which can undoubtedly come in handy during anyone’s time at UofT.

4. What do you like best about being a mentor?

Although it is quite early in the year, I can easily say that the most enjoyable part about being a mentor so far has been the capacity to meet new people from various backgrounds with unique qualities to bring to the conversation. One may think that mentoring is a one-way street, but it has so far been great to learn how different people are making it through their time here! There is so much to explore at UofT, so it has definitely been nice hearing about how people are getting involved and keeping their hobbies and interests alive. I predict that this, along with the establishment of strong relationships, will be the most rewarding aspect of the mentorship program this year.

5. What is your advice to first or second year students interested in political science?

The most valuable piece of advice I can give to a first or second year student in political science is to not let the stress get to you! It can be hard staying calm when you have 100 pages to read, a 10-page paper to write, and a bunch of meetings to get to, but it is incredibly important to take plenty of time to care for your mental and physical health. Try to make the most out of your time here instead of worrying about the future and definitely make sure that you put aside enough time to explore your interests and meet new people. After all, I believe that by the time you graduate from UofT, your greatest assets will come more from the things you did outside of class than the things you did in class.