Meet avid reader and TV lover: Kabbyo Sharif

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Year: 3rd

College: Victoria

Major: Statistics and Women and Gender Studies, minor in Aboriginal Studies

Relationship Status: Single

What’s your favorite book?

I’m terrible at picking favourites, especially for books. Off the top of my head, I loved The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Beloved, Middlesex, Fun Home, Lamb, The Sandman, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. That doesn’t even include nonfiction or anthologies or things that aren’t immediately visible in my room right now. I like reading.

Most recent film you’ve seen?

Birdman

What’s your guilty pleasure?

TV! I watch a lot of TV, and then read articles and listen to podcasts about those TV shows, it’s a whole thing. I don’t know how I get anything done, ever.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I can do like, 4 cartwheels without getting dizzy.

What’s the one thing you cannot live without?

People that challenge and/or support me. 

If you had an all-expenses paid trip around the world, where is the first place you’d visit and why?

I’ve been traveling with my family since I was a newborn and never really felt rooted to anywhere in particular, so assuming I get to go everywhere I want to afterwards, I would start in Bangladesh (where my family’s from) and follow the various paths and journeys that led them there. I could get a feel for the spaces that my ancestors were rooted to, and the movements and migrations that make up my personal family history. It would be cool to feel tethered to something, even if they’re as ephemeral as memories.

Cat-person or Dog-person?

Both, always.

What would you like to be able to say about your experience at University once you’ve graduated?

Junot Diaz said this thing once about how education seems more like accreditation than transformation. I want this experience to be transformative. I’d like to be able to say that I engaged with the opportunities and grappled with the limitations of the academy. I hope I can find the words for my experiences and recognize where there aren’t any. Mostly, I hope I’m asking better questions leaving university than I was going in.