neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Makeup Hacks For People Who Don’t Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Written by: Sophia Lahey, 

Edited by: Veronika Potylitsina

We’ve all been there, countless hours on the web watching “my everyday makeup routine” videos learning how to contour seamlessly, highlight to perfection, and blend out your crease. After watching all these videos you go out and buy the foundation, concealer, highlight, contour kits, eyebrow pencils, everything this beauty guru has in order to perfect this look. With sheer determination you beat your face exactly the way she (or he) did it in the video, but lo and behold, you look like you’ve tried to copy Violet Chachki’s winning look from Rupaul’s Drag Race season 7. You take it all off and vow never to buy makeup again. Then the cycle re-starts.

Do not fret my fellow beauty impaired pal, I am here to give our readers easy beauty tricks that involve no contouring, no crazy brushes, and you won’t have to lip-synch for your life.

Tinted Moisturizer

Forget the cakey, stickiness of foundation and embrace the easiest cheat to even out your skin. Tinted moisturizer is a two in one and can easily be applied with the tips of your fingers. Using your fingers to blend in the moisturizer works wonderfully because of the warmth that radiates from them allows the moisturizer to seep into your face.

Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, $54 at Sephora

Lipstick/blush

LADIES (and gentlemen) this trick has saved me so much time, effort, and money. It’s a two in one deal. Step one, pick a lipstick colour. Step two, wear the lipstick on your lips AND rub some on your cheeks. Step 3, never worry about mismatching your blush to your lipstick ever again. Not only is this an easy trick it’s also long lasting.

CoverGirl Katy Kat Matte Lipstick (ranging from $6.94-$8.27 at Shoppers Drug Mart or Walmart) This lipstick is long lasting and hydrating without leaving the painted feeling that liquid lipsticks do

Top Coat nail polish

This tip is for those who have zero patience when it comes to painting your nails. You want the clean look of having nicely painted nails but it never happens because you have to do other things (like go to the bathroom as soon as you finish painting). Fret not, for there is an easy way to get glossy clean nails in no time flat. Clear top coats are my best friend. Not only do they dry instantly they also leave your nails looking naturally sleek and clean.

O.P.I Start to Finish (9.95 at Walmart) This 3 in 1 formula helps to strengthen nail growth as well as acting both as a base coat and top coat

No heat hair

This trick isn’t anything new or innovative. But it’s often forgotten amidst the heat of a flat and/or curling irons. There are many ways to get those beachy waves, tight curls, and even straight hair. Although the process to achieve these hairstyles might take a bit longer the results are worth the wait. The tricks will leave your hair looking healthier instead of burnt.

Amy Serrano and AndreasChoice are two Youtubers that I turn to the most when looking for no heat hair tutorials, and the never have failed me.

Petroleum Jelly time

This will change your life. Petroleum jelly is a household object so I am sure that your mother, father, brother, or sister will have some. This works as a lip balm along with an eyelash serum. Spread some petroleum jelly on your eyelashes and they look instantly longer. Also, petroleum jelly helps with eyelash growth as well.

Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly- Original ($3.37 at Walmart)

With these 5 easy tips and tricks you’ll realize that it isn’t that hard that look so good.

Architecture History and Design Double Major and Environmental Geography Minor at the University of Toronto