The Life and Work of Film Director Atom Egoyan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Name: Atom Egoyan

College: Trinity

Program: International Relations and Classical Guitar

Hometown: Victoria, British Columbia

Renowned Canadian film director and U of T alumni, Atom Egoyan was born in Cairo, Egypt in 1960. He grew up in Victoria, BC, and eventually moved to Toronto for his university education. While at Trinity College, he became involved with the Trinity College Dramatic Society and the Hart House Film Board. 

His first feature film, Next of Kin, was released at the Toronto Film Festival in 1984. Since then, he has gone on to direct a number of acclaimed films such as Exotica, which was nominated for the Palme d’Or Award at the Cannes Film Festival, and The Sweet Hereafter, which also earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Director. Atom’s work primarily deals with themes of memory, technology, and modernity.

More recently, Atom has been interested in directing operas. Last year, his production of Mozart’s Così fan tutte premiered at the Canadian Opera Company. He also wrote and directed an original opera entitled Elsewhereless, which received six Dora Award nominations, which is the Canadian equivalent of the Tony Awards. 

Atom’s accomplishments have been recognized by a number of important institutions. He has received Honourary Doctorate degrees from U of T, Queen’s, McGill and UBC, and has been named an Officer of the Order of Canada. 

Sources:

www.egofilmarts.com

Wikipedia

https://luminatofestival.com/media/event_images/luminato_2013._atom_egoy…

Lauren Pare is a fourth-year English specialist at the University of Toronto. When she is not reading Shakespeare or modern poetry for school, she enjoys writing, painting, yoga, and green tea.