jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

How to Save Money On Makeup Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Carol Eugene Park

If you’re an avid makeup lover, then you probably know that adding to your makeup collection can become quite expensive. However, there are many ways for you to save money or get more bang for your buck through rewards programs, waiting for sales, taking advantages of coupons and using cash back programs. You don’t have to break the bank to buy your favourite makeup products. Here are three different ways for you to save your money when shopping for the makeup that you love.

#1: Rewards Programs

Many makeup stores offer some sort of rewards programs to their customers so that you can rack up points and use them towards products. Also, many times makeup stores will offer free samples of certain products. I want to focus on Sephora because they have a lot to offer in terms of ways to try out new products without spending a dime, as well as ways to earn back points in return for the money you spend. Sephora offers the Beauty Insider Program in the US and Canada and you can earn points per dollar that you spend. Every year you receive one free birthday gift in store regardless of if you make a purchase or not and with every online order you can choose from 3 – 4 samples to add with your purchase. If you spend up to $350 and become VIB, you can get 1 custom makeover for free and once you reach ROUGE by spending $1000, more perks become available. Regardless if you are part of the program, you can get a free mini makeover in store at any time and you can also get free samples in store most times if you just ask. So, take advantage of the Sephora Beauty Insider Program.

#2: Sales/Coupons

Makeup stores that have annual or semi-annual sales are a great thing to take advantage on in order to save some money. Saving up money for a specific product, take the extra time to wait for the sales and you can get that product for up 10% – 15% off all products. There are also certain days where you can earn up to 3x the points with Beauty Insider on your products and you can use those points towards another makeup product. At other stores, you should just keep your eyes peeled for sales in store and take advantage of them to get a deal on makeup products. In terms of coupons, with the rampant increase in online shopping, take advantage for online coupons. Sometimes a quick Google search can point you in the right direction to a coupon that you can use towards a purchase and save some more bucks on your products. Sephora also has a Beauty Offers page with coupons available to use every time you make a purchase.

#3: Cash Back Programs

Ebates is one of my favourite ways to save money on makeup products when shopping online. Through Ebates, you can make purchases and earn cash back on the products that you purchase. Although the cash back will only be a small percentage of the purchase except for certain days when they increase the percentage amount, you are still earning money back for the purchases that you make. The great thing about Ebates is that it’s not limited to makeup products you can use it for online purchases at over 2000 stores. They also offer a Google Chrome extension that pops up when you visit one of their affiliate sites, so you never miss an opportunity to earn cash back. If you’re someone who actively makes online purchases for makeup products than this is a great way to earn some money back every time that you can make a purchase.

Join those free rewards programs, take advantage of sales and online coupons as well as cash back programs in order to save money on your future purchases.