How To Prepare Your Wardrobe for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Spring at last! The first day of spring has officially past us, and we’ve even been so fortunate as to have had a few days of glorious warm weather to truly mark the end of another winter. Most of us are just itching to bid farewell to our unbearably scratchy sweaters and happily welcome shorts and sandals into our closets. Yet, for many, this is often a daunting and time-consuming task. But it definitely doesn’t have to be! Spring is a fantastic opportunity to enjoy new fashion trends and unleash your own trend-setting chic style. How exactly can you do this without the frustration of keeping up with what’s considered “in” this season? Here are a few quick and simple tips to get you started!

Accessorize Wisely

Photo Source

Accessories are the best way to make any outfit. No matter how simple it may be, the right accessory can make any outfit instantly appear glamorous. Whether you opt for jewelry, light scarves, belts, bags, or head bands, there are plenty of options available to add a little something special to your daily attire. Don’t shy away from bold or chunky accessories when looking to make an impression. Animal print, exotic looking stones, as well as intricate patterns can all make your wardrobe dazzle if they are worn properly and in an appropriate setting. Sophisticated picks that are subtly chic are perfect for when you’re going for a more elegant look, and can include anything from pearls, clutches, floral prints and more. Many of us have something lurking in our closets or cabinets just waiting to be pulled out and paired with the right top, dress, or blouse. So start looking!

Don’t Underestimate the Power of Footwear

Although we often barely give a second glance to what our toes slide into, sandals, high-heels, flats, flip flops, wedges and more all have the potential to make an outfit sizzle! Many of you will also be relieved to know that being classy or stunningly stylish does not necessarily mean we have to sacrifice comfort. Tasteful amounts of glitter, cute bows, and eye-catching designs on shoes that are heel free are not impossible to find, all you need is a little patience combined with a sense of direction that’ll have you headed toward the right stores and outlets. The same rules apply to heels, for those of you who aren’t afraid to strap them on! Don’t be ashamed of your footwear, flaunt it! Even shoes that are simply an interesting colour or uniquely designed can have your friends begging to find out where they too can get their hands on a pair!
Photo Source

Experiment with Colours

Photo Source

Speaking of interesting colours, for those of you stuck in a fashion rut with black or grey tones dominating the bulk of your wardrobe, step outside your comfort zones and embrace the range of colours out there to explore! Vibrant bursts of colour are not only all the rage this spring, but they are also sure to transform even the dullest outfit into one that is both daring and lively. Whether you prefer warm tones of red, yellow, and orange, cool blues or anything in between, do not let your fears of abandoning your colour neutral bubble keep you from taking advantage of the chance to have your outfits stand out and to inspire others to do the same. Brighten your day and that of those around you by choosing cheerful colours that will have you glowing with spring bliss!

With a positive attitude and enthusiasm, there is no limit to what you can accomplish this season in terms of fashion. All you need is an open your mind to be both well dressed and original this spring!

Photo Credits 
Accessorize Wisely: http://www.fashion-isha.com/2012/02/5-hot-bag-styles-for-spring-by-guest…
Don’t Underestimate the Power of Footwear: http://hotstylefashiongirl.com/shoes/fashion-trend-shoes-wedges-and-chun…
Experiment With Colour: http://instyle9.com/2012-spring-fashion-femininity-at-2012-spring-fashion/

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.