Her Campus U of T’s Guide to Celebrating the Holidays in Toronto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

So exams might have already begun, but that shouldn’t stop you from planning what to do once they’re all finished. Toronto offers tonnes of exciting activities to choose from and events to attend. From delicious dishes to outdoor skating, here are some ways to make the most of your holidays, the Canadian way!

Winterlicious
Who says students with a tight budget can’t enjoy a three-course meal for reasonably low prices? Winterlicious, along with its sister program Summerlicious, is one of the most popular programs offered by the City of Toronto. Starting from January 27th, you can discover new culinary delights for fixed prices, starting from $15! We’re talking about the best restaurants Toronto has to offer! Not only will these three-course meals be picked specially by distinguished chefs but it will also be available until February 10th! Reservations fill up quickly, so mark your calendars and don’t forget to book yours starting January 13th!

Outdoor Skating
Over a dozen rinks are open to the public for seasonal outdoor skating. Rentals and snacks are available, which is very convenient for anyone skating or just enjoying the show. Most rinks, like the all-famous Nathan Phillips Square, are now open for the full day! Everyone can enjoy the beautiful outdoors and have fun skating with fellow Torontonians! The rinks are maintained very carefully and have staff operating on site. Outdoor skating is perfect for any date or family events, but make sure to bundle up as Canadian winters can be fiercely cold.

Toronto Zoo
There’s no time better to visit the zoo than in winter to visit the polar bears at the Toronto Zoo. With over 5000 animals to discover, there’s definitely something for everyone to enjoy! This year, the zoo has new events such as the Endangered African Penguins exhibit as well as old favourites like the 36th Annual Christmas Treats Walk! On Boxing Day, you can enjoy watching animals waiting for special, seasonal treats with all tickets 50% off. But that’s not the end of the events’ list; you can spend New Year’s Eve with good food, music, and animals at the zoo!

Skiing & Snowboarding
It wouldn’t be a Canadian winter if there wasn’t any snow! And what better way to enjoy the cold snow than to go skiing or snowboarding? Toronto has several parks where people just starting out can learn to ski or snowboard as well as parks for anyone who wants to practice their moves. Centennial Park and Earl Bales Park are just some of the possible parks to visit, check out the City of Toronto Website for more details.

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.