HC U of T Reviews: 7 West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Located on 7 Charles Street West, between Bay Street and Yonge Street, 7 West Café is very close to campus and an ideal place to hang out with some friends, or go out for a date. It is open 24/7 which is great for many UofT students who operate on a nocturnal schedule. It’s a little tricky to find at first – there’s no neon sign with the words “7 West Cafe” – but look out for a black door and a light post with the number 7 on it. The restaurant/café/eatery is situated in a pretty, old building with cozy décor. I definitely loved the fireplace in the middle of the dining room and the chairs which are reminiscent of cast iron patio sets. It’s quite a casual setting and perfect for us students to relax over coffee and a slice of cake.

Why do I love 7 West Café? It serves great comfort food. From soups and salads to pastas to sandwiches, they have a great selection of hearty food. The menu includes appetizers such as bruschetta, nachos, chilli – things that are sure to please those of us who aren’t that adventurous. There is also a great selection of pastas and pizzas, including a pesto pizza with chicken and sundried tomatoes (not your average food court pizza). Although I’ve never had the sandwiches, they sound delicious as well. There’s a Montreal smoked meat, BLT, and a wide selection of paninis. The menu doesn’t end here as 7 West also serves some breakfast options and comforting cakes. If you aren’t interested in food, 7 West also has numerous drinks that are offered by coffee shops such as Starbucks and Second Cup. They also have martinis, beer, and wines for those nights out with friends.

I personally really enjoyed my lunch with Natalie, my co-Campus Correspondent, and our friend Rachel. Natalie and I both chose pastas, which were a great value (around $13 each) considering their size and the fact that they came with a side salad and bread. I had the Pesto Pollo – essentially a penne with pesto, chicken and sundried tomatoes. Natalie had the Virgin Pasta, which consisted of spaghetti with vegetables and basil all tossed in an olive oil sauce. We started off with a house salad that was refreshing, and then were surprised by the sheer size of the lunch portion pastas. However, they were so comforting and tasty that we both finished them quickly. One thing that was really good was the bread! Some restaurants offer bread that is really tasty when it’s warm, but then is rock hard when it cools. Not 7 West. The bread was so soft even though it wasn’t warm.  

Rachel decided to opt for some coffee and a slice of apple pie. She thought they were both great and it didn’t feel awkward that she was going for the coffee shop options while Natalie and I were eating full meals.
What’s best about 7 West Café is that it is friendly for the student wallet and a short walk from campus. You’ll be looking to spend around $20 for a full, large-portioned meal with a pop or juice, and with the casual atmosphere, you don’t feel pressured to order any expensive drinks. Overall, 7 West Café is a great place to read a book or hang out with friends. It is a multifunction restaurant that is suitable for casual dining, just coffee, and drinks after dinner.

Harriet is a fourth year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Human Biology with double minors in East Asian Studies and Linguistics. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is extremely excited to have started the University of Toronto branch. Her favourite activities include travelling, eating good food and of course shopping.