This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

I think yesterday was the first time I genuinely understood the magnitude of society’s desensitization to the devastation and pain of war. It was when mid-conversation about the emergency situation in Ghouta with a fellow Political Science student, the student stopped me to ask why I was “still talking about Syria”. They were completely unaware of the most recent wave of bombings, the fiercest of the Syrian war, which was now entering its eighth year.

I don’t blame the person, neither do I blame anyone who is unaware, because I am awed at the lack of action, empathy and media coverage of this issue, and the Syrian war as a whole.

For those that are unaware, the UN has recently released statistics claiming that over 580 people have been killed as of February 18th in Eastern Ghouta alone. The bombings have been detrimental to the city where attacks have targeted not only civilians, but all means of survival in this sieged city; bakeries, warehouses,  and places that contain sources of food supply. In addition to this, 24 medical facilities have been demolished.

So why are we yet to hear of the situation dying down? Why is it that we wait until we see pictures of children deprived of life washed up ashore to take action? On the contrary, I hear of failed attempts to implement ceasefires, despite unanimous condemnation of the crisis. Regardless of your stance on this war, it is becoming increasingly difficult to believe anyone is in favour of human beings consuming inedible plants in order to survive.

We have become indifferent to the Syrian crisis and the diverse issues which surround us. The normalization of violence has poisoned our sense of empathy.

The 24/7 news coverage, digital  photography and even violently graphic video games are funneled into our everyday lives making it nearly impossible for us to grieve at the devastation our neighboring countries experience at a daily basis. I may watch a heartbreaking video, or share a post about the lack of action our policy makers present but It scares me how easy I envelope myself into a sense of ordinariness. I share those posts from the comfort of my couch, sheltered from the children dying a simple plane ride away  from me. It is impossible for me to fully comprehend what they are going through.

It’s easy to slip into my own personal bubble of security, as I glaze over videos on my news feed, as the concept of war is too heavy for my mind to fully comprehend, but it is worth challenging this concept and attempting to become more socially aware.I encourage us all to refuse normalizing the mass losses of people in Syria or any war torn country. Their individuality, and complex lives are worth far more than a statistic to be counted and  documented in history. These people are in the fight for their lives, and are in desperate need of our empathy, support, and voices. Indifference is not to be claimed by a single group or individual because to an extent we have all acted in this respect on one level or another.

Thus, in order to move forward we should reflect on our own situations, the complexities of our lives, and how we could easily be in the same situation as these people.

Let’s try to stop numbing ourselves to the pain, and call for help.

Note: If you’re interested in supporting the Syrian cause please consider donating to the White Helmets: https://www.whitehelmets.org/en

Lina is a second year Political Science and Criminology double major at the University of Toronto! She’s a self proclaimed pun enthusiast who argues that her pizza puns can’t be topped.. Besides writing for HC, you can find Lina shopping at the dollarama for some dark chocolate or sprinting her life away as she desperately tries not to miss the next Go Train.