This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Tanmaya Ramprasad

There’s no shame in enjoying a good romance book. They’re heart-warming, tear-jerking, thought-provoking, and relatable. What’s not to love? Not to mention, there’s romantic suspense, historical romance, contemporary romance, fantasy, young adult, etc.; it’s seriously the one-size-fits-all of literature.

If I’m being completely honest, my love for romance probably started on Wattpad (I was 11, sue me). Anyways, I rediscovered my love for the genre in 2020, and in doing so, rediscovered my love for reading.

As HC UToronto’s self-proclaimed romance novel expert, here are five of my favourite titles.

1. “something About You” by julie james

This novel introduced me to romantic-suspense and for this I will forever be indebted to it. I would say it leans more towards the romantic side than the suspense, but it’s a fun, easy-read, and the added bit of mystery makes you seriously unable to put it down.

2. “Bitter Heat” by mia knight

Fair warning, this would not be the book I recommend to my mother. It’s a steamy, uncomfortable, angsty, lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers novel with amazing writing and dialogue. If you’re looking for something more mature, I would highly, highly recommend.

3. “heartbreaker” by Julie Garwood

A 2000s romantic suspense that keeps you at the edge of your seat. I would also recommend the following two books in the series, Mercy and Killjoy. It’s safe to say, I was sufficiently spooked at night because of these.

4. “the witness” by nora roberts

If you’re looking for a book with a strong female lead, this is the one. Abigail is smart, cunning, self-sufficient, and almost too independent for her own good. There’s mystery, suspense, romance, and plot twists, and it’s all I could ever ask for.

5. “The Favor” by Suzanne Wright

Hands down, the most perfect take on the “fake relationship” trope I’ve ever read. It’s steamy, angsty, and the characters have so much chemistry it’s palpable.

Kelly Chang

U Toronto '25

Kelly is a second-year Industrial Engineering student at the University of Toronto. She is a part-time writer for HC U Toronto. Some of her favourite things include (but are not limited to): coffee, romance novels, peanut butter, and marvel movies.