This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

We’ve seen multiple skincare trends come and go but none have lasted as long as “double-cleansing”. Double cleansing is a trend that comes from Korean skincare, it’s been around for years but it’s gained traction in the western beauty sphere recently.

How it works is actually quite simple, you start with an oil-based cleanser that breaks down the makeup, dirt and nasty everyday toxins that sit on our skin every day. This step is crucial because, contrary to popular opinion, your normal everyday cleanser doesn’t do that. That’s why every time you try to wash your makeup off, you have residue on your towel. Next is your water-based cleanser, which is what you use already, that washes away any excess pollution and cleanses your pores that it now has easy access to.

The problem is; there’s still a lot of opposition to this method of cleansing because there are unanswered questions, and full disclosure, I understand that. I was hesitant to try it out myself because I have sensitive, normal to combination skin and I am EXTREMELY prone to clogged pores. Safe to say I was terrified that I would break out into hives.

Concerns I’ve heard from people around me are all usually along the lines of: Is it suitable for oily skin? Sensitive skin? Will it clog my pores? Can I just use a simple oil? All of which are understandable concerns. Here are some of your qualms eased.

Double cleansing works on your skin regardless of your skin type.

How? Pick your oil cleanser wisely. Most beauty brands give you the choice in their targeted skincare lines to pick an oil cleanser from each line. So, if you have skin on the oilier side, you’re more likely suited to a hydrating oil cleanser, because your oily skin is trying to tell you your skin lacks hydration, so it’s overcompensating. Whereas if your skin is leaning towards the drier side, you’d need a nourishing or moisturising oil cleanser because you lack moisture below the surface. Skin sensitivity is the reaction your skin gives when you’re putting on things that work for it, the golden rule is to actually LISTEN to what your skin is telling you.

Don’t use coconut or almond or any oil you can buy from the grocery store.

Oils like coconut, almond, etc. are comedogenic; meaning they can and will settle into your pores and clog them, creating comedones or blackheads under the skin. Those pesky bumps under your skin can take up to months to get rid of. Oil cleansers use specific ingredients that work to breakdown the chemicals in makeup and the dirt that lays on your skin throughout the day due as well as SPF, making it safe for use. A good oil cleanser doesn’t have to cause a huge dent in your wallet, some of the best ones can be found at your local drugstore.

And the biggest question of all,

Does it ACTUALLY work or is it just another skincare trend?

In all honesty, yes it does. I started double cleansing 3 weeks ago and I can honestly say, my skin has never been clearer. The first step of oil cleansing actually makes your normal cleanser work better because it can do the job it was meant to do. I have rarely ever had to deal with a makeup stained towel anymore. My skin’s never FELT cleaner. And, wait for it, clogged pores? Texture? GONE. It’s borderline magical at this point.

Final remarks, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

You just need to do a little research of the market so you can pick the right one but the fact of the matter is that your cleansing is the foundation of your skincare routine and if your foundation isn’t stable, the rest of it won’t do much. Research and invest, you’re going to see results in as little as two weeks.

Mehr Yawar

U Toronto '22

Hi I'm Mehr, pronounced meh-her, and I'm an International Relations major aspiring to become a human rights lawyer someday. Find me at the nearest café consuming copious amounts of caffeine. If you want to talk about anything from beauty to food, music to politics, and everything pop culture, I'm your girl.