DIY: Glam Accessories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Fall may have arrived but it seems that your last paycheck hasn’t. So what’s a girl to do with a tight budget and the need for a total makeover? It’s not about how many new clothes you have but how you wear them. And what better way to amp up your look with some jaw dropping accessories. Anyone can upgrade their accessories for less. All you need are some old pieces, glitter, paint, and a touch of creativity. Here are a few DIY ideas to get you started:

1. Belted/ Jeweled Boots 

Just like with the previous DIY, all you’ll need are some old pieces. Search your collection for a pair of leather boots. You’ll also need any old belts or jewellery that you might not wear anymore. First you wrap your belt three or two times (depending on the length) around the shaft of the boot and then attach your desired jewellery to the belt notch. Stud earrings work wonderfully since they secure nicely. You can also attach necklaces or bracelets by attaching one end of the clasp to a notch, twisting it around the belt, and attaching the remaining clasp to another notch

2. Braided Scarves

There are so many different types of braids that the possibilities are endless for this DIY project. You can use as many scarves as you like. Plum is the colour of the season, so try incorporating some into your braided scarf. The steps are simple: just tie the scarves together with a knot at one end and start braiding. When you run out of material, tie the remaining end with a nice knot.

3. Glitter Pumps

So you’ve got an event coming up and you’ve worn the same, old heels again and again. Time to amp those sad pumps up with some glitter. Paint your pumps one small section at a time. Place your glitter in a bowl. Take a spoonful of glitter and dust it all over the painted section over the bowl. That way, the excess glitter will fall back into the bowl and you don’t waste any product. Repeat this process until your entire pump is covered. Spray an acrylic spray sealer all over and let it dry for a couple of hours. 

4. Starry Boots

Make sure you set up a nice workstation because things can get a little bit messy. Take a pair of old combat boots (or any boot for that matter) and some fabric paint in the colour of your choice. If you have mix acrylic paint lying around the house, just mix it with some acrylic medium such as GAC 900. Fabric paint should be used because it’s softer and works better in the wash than craft paint. Just start painting small and big stars on the side of your boot. You can add some glitter for an extra glam effect or use glitter glue for the less messy effect. 

I hope you guys have lots of fun with these DIYs. Take inspiration from the pictures, and remember it’s all about personalization. 

Sources: 
1.http://www.chic-steals.com/2012/05/diy-free-people-luxury-jones-belt-wra…
2.http://fashion.allwomenstalk.com/cosy-yet-fashionable-scarves-for-fall/2/
3.http://www.polyvore.com/lucy_choi_london_adelite_glitter/thing?id=65942586

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.