Cyra Asli: Music Education, Learning Languages, and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Veronika Potylitsina

In the past couple of weeks, I got the chance to interview Cyra Asli, a friend I met in a language class I’m taking this semester, RLG260: Introduction to Sanskrit. Cyra is an awesome, interesting individual, and I’ve had so much fun struggling through Sanskrit in class with her! In this interview, Cyra talks a little bit about her program in the Music faculty, her experience taking a fifth year, and a variety of other things.

Name: Cyra Asli

Year: 5

Program: Music Education

Favourite Animal: Great White Shark

What exactly does your program entail?  

The Music Bachelor program in Music Education is for students who are primarily looking to pursue a career in music and teaching. Many of the courses mandatory in the program are education related in the sense that, students are encouraged to analyze most material from a classroom setting point of view. Many undergraduate students choose Music Education to prepare for teaching at primary, intermediate or senior levels in the school system, or to teach music in community contexts.

What are your post-graduation plans?

I have many aspirations post-graduation, the only difficulty I have is prioritizing what I would like to accomplish first. But I believe the most important thing is our own mental and physical health, without which I would not be able to achieve any of my goals. I plan to take one year away from school and hope to find a full-time job that is not in my field of study. I am always open to experiencing different career paths and expanding my knowledge.

What motivated you to take RLG260?

I enjoy taking language courses, despite the level of difficulty and stress. I was interested in taking RLG260 because it is not a common language that many people identify with in the present time. I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity, seeing that it may not be as easily accessible outside of university courses.

Would you recommend taking a language course in university?

I highly recommend taking a language course in university because it allows you to learn more about yourself and the different methods that work for your own learning, or perhaps learning techniques that do not benefit your education. You are pushed to make use of many learning skills that not all courses require you to do.

How do you think a fifth year could help in one’s university career?

My fifth year was not planned at the start of my university career; it was just something that happened along the way. Taking a fifth year did not push me back or cause any negative effect on my life or career. In fact, it has allowed me to expand my options beyond the requirement of my program so that I can gain experience from other fields and engage in new environments of thinking.

Any general tips for first-years?

The most important piece of advice I can pass on to someone who is beginning their university career is to make sure that they are aware of their mental and physical state always. Each day we are more educated on the importance of mental health, however a lot of students still suffer from high levels of stress and anxiety, most of which is induced through situations related to their studies. It is important that we care for our mental and physical health to perform well in school.

Any tips for students considering taking a fifth year?

Decide what is best for you and just go with that decision. It does not need to be a decision that will please anyone else or be more convenient to another person’s life. This is something that can be very beneficial to most students that choose to extend their undergraduate studies to a fifth year. Not only are ‘fifth years’ for those who were not able to meet their degree requirements in the 4-year period, but also for those who gain interest in other areas of studies. It is much easier to take courses in other departments while still registered as a student in the university, and it is something that I am benefiting off taking advantage of.

Photo credits go to Mimi Ke