Clubs feature: Student Friends of the John M Kelly Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Veronika Potylitsina

UofT is a great university, with tons of groups and communities we can choose to be a part of – no matter what you’re interested in, you can be certain there is some club out there for you! However, if you’re a bookworm like me, or just looking to get involved in a wonderful you might be interested in this group in particular: The Student Friends of the John M Kelly Library. I met with two members a little while ago to learn more about it.

College/Faculty affiliations: St. Michael’s

Answers provided by: Caitlin, 2nd year, Victoria College, Faculty of Arts and Science, English Major, and Kendra, 5th year, Woodsworth College, Faculty of Arts and Science, Book and Media Studies

Describe the group in a nutshell – what are its objectives?

Caitlin: Okay, so our group is actually a branch off of the Friends of the John M Kelly library, which is a group of alumni members of the college who get together and host this book sale, as well as throw other events. So we’re just the student branch of that – right now we’re helping out with the book sale, but we also organise events for students throughout the year. We try to engage the students, especially coming into the library for things other than just sitting here and studying for 5 hours straight! We try to make sure the students are benefitting as well.  

Kendra: I guess our main mandate usually is assisting with preparation of St. Michaels College book sale, and in the past we’ve had events for students throughout the year: rare book identification, or 3D printing. This year, we’re trying to expand, and make it an initiative where people feel more included and just have an area where they can be socially engaged. I feel like that could translate into better academic performance. 

Why is the group named Student “Friends” of the John M Kelly Library, as opposed to just “Members”?

Caitlin: with the Friends of the John M Kelly Library, they’re called “friends” because it’s all just volunteer work – none of them are paid for being a member of the group. It’s the same for us – aside from work study students, we’re just the people who come along and form the student branch, and it’s also volunteer work. 

Kendra: I think it emphasises just the community feel we have. We’re not necessarily just a student group on campus, but we’re more like an initiative and a place where people can come and feel included. People can choose their hours, and in the summers we hold weekly book sorting events. Those are great for book lovers, but are also a way for people from different disciplines to come and meet other people. We have snacks, and sometimes games – it’s just a fun time where people can get away from school!

What’s the atmosphere of the group like?

Kendra: I would say very open, and I want to say multivalent, or multidisciplinary. We have a wide range of volunteers, from high school students to the regular Friends group which are usually seniors – people in their last year of university, or first years, in the middle of their journey. So it’s a good place where people can learn something from somebody, no matter where you come from. We’re very friendly; we are a new group, so I think we have a very fresh outlook on things compared to groups that have been here for a while. We’re very inclusive – throughout the summer we had people who were enrolled in Physiology, History, English. It’s really open to anyone who wants to get more involved with book work. 

What are some things you’ve learnt being a part of the Student Friends?

Kendra: for me personally, I think the power of social engagement is number one. I feel, especially since we’re on such a big campus, it can be hard to find your niche. But being able to come to a group that meets once a week – it’s good to have that grounding.

Caitlin: I think what I’ve learnt most is how much work goes on behind the scenes that people don’t see. I say that because I do promotions, and also even just getting together for the book sorting events, getting everyone involved – there’s a lot of work that needs to be done. But the payoff is just enormous! Because it`s not like anyone just goes to these events, and they`re just there passively, like they`ve been forced to. Everybody goes because they`re passionate, not just about sorting books, but also the book sale and the college, and the support of small campus groups. It`s awesome to see and be a part of!

Is there anything specific you`d want our readers to know?

Kendra: well, our main thing that`s coming up is the St. Michaels College annual book sale that`s happening at the end of September, between September 27th and 30th. So we are looking for volunteers to help with that since it`s such a big event. It`s a good time, to start with, and volunteers also have incentive to come because we give 10 dollar vouchers for each hour that they volunteer. That can be used toward the book sale this year. On the last day we will also have a takedown day – it`ll be a little social gathering with pizza and volunteers can get Cineplex movie passes!

Caitlin: We also have the same initiative for Student groups if you want to come and get involved. If you have a minimum of 5 members that show up and volunteer, for a minimum of 5 hours, the Friends of the John M Kelly library will donate 100 dollars toward their group. Whether they`re a fundraising group who donate the money to charity, or they just want to throw extra events for their members throughout the year, they can use that money for whatever they want. 

I am a Life Sciences student from Tanzania (which is in East Africa - not Australia!). I love reading, puzzles, and puns.