Campus Personality: Mackenzie Keaney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Meet Mackenzie Keaney, a second year english/humanities student studying at the University of Toronto – Mississauga campus. We discussed benefits of university, the decision making, and how she manages her time in order to ensure success at university. 

Basic Info

Name: Mackenzie Keaney

Age: 20

Program of Study: English/Humanities

Year of Study: 2

1. What is one thing that you love about university and why?

My wonderful friend Janine, of course! But one thing I love about university is the Professors. They make the content that we’re learning fun and know how to engage the class. I haven’t met a Professor yet that I haven’t liked, so fingers crossed. I also really enjoy the freedom I have in picking my courses. I’m not taking a single class that I don’t like.

2. What was the biggest factor in your decision to attend University of Toronto – Mississauga (distance, program of choice, etc.)?

U of T is the best university in Canada, and our campus is known for its English and Science programs. I knew I wanted to study English, so UTM was my first choice. 

3. What made you decide on your program of study?

I have always done well in English classes, and even took several English courses as electives in high school. I also write in my spare time, and enjoy reading. I want to be a teacher when I finish school, and decided English is what I primarily would like to teach. I would also like to travel to other countries to teach English, such as South Korea.

4. What is your dream career? Has it changed from when you were younger or has it remained the same?

My dream career when I was younger was to be a famous singer. I was a vocal major in high school, and have had a strong background in music since I was very young. If I thought it were possible, it would still be my dream career. However, I’ve settled on becoming a teacher, which is my second choice.

5. How do you deal with balancing between work, school, and your social life?

I don’t. I try to schedule my courses so that I have a day off during the week. I call it a mental health day. It’s really helpful when you just need a day to relax and not think about work or school. Because I’m taking an online course this semester, I actually have two days off!

6. If you could change one thing about how you approach university, what would it be? (i.e., studying more, participating more in class, etc.)?

Definitely participating more in class. Most courses I am taking now, and that I took in first year, are fairly large, so it can be awkward to contribute to the class discussion when you don’t really know anyone and/or the Professor doesn’t know you.

7. What is the best piece of advice you could give to someone entering in their first year of university?

GET A CALENDAR AND STICK IT ON YOUR BEDROOM WALL!!! You WILL forget due dates. Have a physical reminder of upcoming assignments that you can see weeks ahead of time.

Favourites:

Colour: Blue

Music Genre: Progressive Metal

Book: The Lord of the Rings

TV Show (or what are you currently watching?): Once Upon a Time

Movie (or last movie you watched?): The Lord of the Rings