Arts in the City: Camera Atomica

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Camera Atomic is The Atomic Age as seen through the camera lenses of the 20th century. The exhibition seeks to provide a full bodied experience to visitors. On display are both the realities and expectations of atomic weapons, energy and politics during the vast time period between the discovery and the end of the Cold War and beyond. On at the A.G.O. until November 15th, this exhibition is recommended for all collegiates to check out as it incorporates stunning visuals, rare photographs, as well as interesting historical tidbits. As the exhibitions divides itself into the different sections that embodies our concern about atomic technology, the exhibition also neatly opens up a wide variety of discussions that are still revolving around the usage of this terrifying, but powerful technology.

In an attempt to discuss and present a full picture of the atomic history of the world, the exhibition is neatly categorized into several areas of interest. This included the discussion and photographic documentation of major nuclear events such as Fukushima, Nagasaki, and Chernobyl. Interestingly minor nuclear events are also exhibited and discussed, events that might have slipped through our knowledge. These include the sheer amount of testing done at the Los Alamo, and various sites in the American desert. Although it’s general knowledge that the atomic bomb was developed there in secret, the variety of nuclear testing for research purposes is still astounding.

Setting the scene for a display of the prowess and longevity of nuclear energy, a collaborative effort between artists Ken + Jen Yonetani hangs and greets visitors to the exhibition. A chandelier created out of glass containing non-radioactive depleted uranium, this piece adds to the gloom of the room while also stops visitors with its visual stunning, but eerily fluorescent green. On the gallery walls photographs are displayed all across to remind viewers all the seriousness of nuclear technology as a key component in history and a hazard.

Although the exhibition is mainly a photograph-based exhibition, works of other mediums like “2053” by Isao Hashimoto has been seamlessly integrated into the exhibition. To demonstrate the numerous amount of nuclear atomic weapons in existence “2053” – This is the number of nuclear explosions conducted in various parts of the globe provides the viewers with a visual representation of the history of atomic weapons. A display of the different nuclear testing that has taken place since 1945 with each nuclear test is represented by a small beeping light. Separated by the different country’s color coded lights, it’s terrifying to see the history of nuclear testing worldwide as the whole screen lights up in dots.  Equally as unnerving is the work by artist, Andrea Pinheiro entitled “Bomb Book”. Simplistic, minimal but doesn’t fail to astound, the book is the physical manifestation of the history of nuclear weapons development. A series of books that list off of all the bomb tests that has taken place, with blank pages that represent unknown tests. Both artworks relies the same message to remind us of all the story of nuclear weapons that the general public is unaware of.

Aside from the photographs of the clear explosions, ruins, and aftermaths of atomic energy. Some of the most chilling visuals in cooperated in the exhibition are the ones without the gory details. As shown in a series of works in which the photographer David McMilan documents the city of Pripyat. A city near Chernobyl that were forced to be abandoned due to the effects of the Chernobyl disaster. It is as if all of these urban environments have been frozen in time. It was eerie to see how nature slowly stakes its claim in what used to be hub of human activity.

Overall an interesting and unique exhibition, Camera Atomica not only brings visual representations to the history that we know of nuclear power and the atomic age. But it reminds us with a grim afterward that as much as nuclear power sustains our modern lifestyles, it has also been manipulated to do harm. Unfortunately just like the Pandora Box, a nuclear arm’s race seems almost evitable as so long as the technology is in existence. Looking back at present day, it’s clear to see that although countries in the West have set up agreements in regards to the use of nuclear weapons, and try to curb the development in other countries. I.e. the Iran Nuclear Deal. It has only taken the one-time occurrence of a nuclear bomb dropped to change the course of technological development for the whole entire world.

Karen Li

U Toronto

Book & Media,Visual Studies + Writing and Rhetoric. 1T6 20 something-female at the University of Toronto with a penchant for spotting the best Thai restaurant around. When she is not optimizing the perfect take-out order, she can be found writing about culture, media, and lifestyle at her blog, http://www.plasticconfetti.wordpress.com