Arts on Campus: Sculpting the Past, Present, and Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Ever walk around campus and notice the various pecuilar looking statues that are scattered around campus? The St. Geroge campus has statues and busts littered all around from venerable figures, to the de-constructed forms of the contemporary art movements to Canadian symbols that units us all. Each statue has their own origin story, but they have all served as an silent audience to the dramas and daily going-ons of our student lives. Taking a walk around campus during an autumn day, de-stressing from the mid-terms seasons, I’ve collected some of the most prominient and interesting monuments below. Enjoy or better yet, take a walk of your own and see what you find!

Northrop Frye Statue (2012) – Darren Byers and Fred Harrison 

Victoria Colege Quad

Anadyomene (1995) – Maryon Kantaroff 

Victoria College 

Mooseconstrue (2002) – Charles Patcher

Ramsay Wright Laboratories 

Beccas H (1973) – Robert Murray

Galbraith Building 

Cedars (1962) – Walter Yarwood 

Anthropology Building

Karen Li

U Toronto

Book & Media,Visual Studies + Writing and Rhetoric. 1T6 20 something-female at the University of Toronto with a penchant for spotting the best Thai restaurant around. When she is not optimizing the perfect take-out order, she can be found writing about culture, media, and lifestyle at her blog, http://www.plasticconfetti.wordpress.com
Lucian Wang is an Editor with HerCampus UToronto, after starting out as a Writer in his first year. He is currently double majoring in Political Science, along with Biodiversity and Conservation Biology. Apparently you can do that. Along with HerCampus, he is also involved with the University of Toronto Pre-Law Society as its Vice-President - a little more vice than president.  He hopes to pursue law school after he completes his undergraduate degree. He enjoys listening to music (consisting largely of an unhealthy fascination with Taylor Swift), looking damn good in a suit, and spending far too much time staring at his pet turtle. He does not enjoy walking or the beach, so long walks there are out of the question.