Wellness

Artificial Intelligence Is About To Make Your Life A Whole Lot Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Artificial intelligence is the next big thing in the world of science and technology. Smartphone companies and vendors are caught up on the trend with phone companies increasingly adding artificial intelligence (AI) qualities to their merchandise. According to the Gartner research report, at least 80% of smartphones will have “on-device AI capabilities.” Moreover, future artificial intelligence qualities will mean that smartphones will be able to absorb information and solve problems for everyday mobile users. Here are a list of five exciting things artificial intelligence is about to change about your life:

1. Your Love Life

According to the Gartner report, smartphones and other personal devices may soon be able to predict our emotions, including anger, fear, joy and love. By 2022, your phone may be able to detect your innermost thoughts and feelings, including the ability to determine whether or not you’ve fallen in love!

Technological companies are developing facial recognition software that may be able to unlock your cell phone with a simple glance. Your smartphone will be able to scan your facial emotions and analyze the tone of your voice to decide what you’re feeling. Companies like Amazon, Apple, Google, Affectiva, audEERING and Eyeris are all working on Emotional Artificial Intelligence (AI) to discover how ordinary objects may soon be able to react to our emotions and moods.

2. Your Ability to Drive

Affectiva, audEERING and Eyeris are also currently focusing on how we can get cars to detect your emotions while driving, as well as to offer backup and make sure drivers are driving safely. Wouldn’t it be great to have your car smooth talk you during the stress that is parallel parking?

3. Your Shopping Experience

This new technology will be incredible for the world of business, as companies would be able to predict customer’s moods and determine their consumer’s true feelings about their products, and thus, tailor them to meet our needs more accurately.

4. Your Day-to-Day Life

According to Gartner research analyst, Angie Wong states that artificial intelligence “will leverage its sensors, cameras and data to accomplish these tasks automatically. For example, in the connected home, it could order a vacuum bot to clean when the house is empty, or turn a rice cooker on 20 minutes before you arrive.

5. The Medical Industry

There are a lot of exciting new advancements and ways that artificial intelligence can help our world, including in the medical field. Currently on the rise are wristbands that detect and diagnose illnesses and conditions which may be life-threatening. We could also see a rise in apps that help detect mental illness and provide therapy for these conditions.

How It Works

Just by analyzing your facial expression and the tone of your voice, Emotion AI is able to sense eleven distinct emotions including anger, anxiety, revulsion, apprehensiveness, envy, love, sorrow, shame, shock, and a neutral state of mind. Technologists have predicted that technology will soon progress to the point where we may have “an autonomous car sensing your fear and lowering its velocity, or video games altering their difficulty level based on whether you’re looking for a challenge or mindless, casual gameplay”.

Image 1/Image 2/Image 3/Image 4/Image 5/Image 6/Image 7/Image 8

Grace Dada

U Toronto

Amateur at life, expert at worrying over tiny things that don’t really matter. Can be found with her nose in a good book, gulping down a caramel macchiato or (occasionally) attending lectures.