The Approachable Guru: Stanley Zhou

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

For many of us, the first time we were really involved with the U of T community was on Facebook – the summer before first year, in one of the many groups created and led by upper year students. One name that you might recognize is Stanley Zhou, who always had an encouraging word or helpful advice for lost underclassmen.

HerCampus interviewed this helpful guru of school life and course selection, and gained an interesting insight on who Stanley is.

Name: Stanley

Year of Study: Fourth – senior year

Program of study: Life Sciences

College: University of Toronto – Victoria College

Res or non res? Non-Res

Can you describe your university experience as a Frosh in five words?

Never, Went, To, Frosh. :D

Can you describe your current university experience in five words?

Rewarding, educational, growth, gracious, unforgettable

Has your perspective on your future and the world changed since first year?

It hasn’t changed at all. I still want to be in the medical field, and the world is relatively the same.

How much of that change do you think is because of the university and how much is simply part of maturing?

Due to having a very complex childhood, I was forced to grow up and mature relatively faster than most, so I have similar thoughts now compared to before I started university.

What is your favourite place to hang out on or near campus? Why?

Sometimes a bar, sometimes the library, sometimes the lounges, really depends on who I’m hanging out with and what mood I’m in.

Which library is your favourite to study in? Why?

Gerstein’s Science Information Library and E.J Pratt Library on campus. Both are comfortable, spacious libraries that allow me to focus.

What is your de-stress strategy or activity?

Listen to music, read a book, watch sports, play games.

What does success mean to you and would you consider yourself successful?

Success is whatever that brings joy to the lovely people that have been cheering me on. Success is being able to gain experiences and in turn help others with problems that I previously had myself.

Where do you think you’ll go from here?

Right now, realistically, I will hope to be a graduate student starting September, 2015. From there on, who knows!

How would you explain your life philosophy?

Try your best in everything. It’s true that sometimes your best may not be enough, but when you try your best, at least you can accept yourself. No regrets when you have already given your best, but not vice versa.

As an upper year student, what are the do’s and don’ts you would tell first year students?

This list can be very long, so I will just list a few:

DO:

– Work hard, play hard

– Study for tests ahead of time (i.e a week+ prior to test date)

– Join some clubs that you like, make friends

DON’T:

– Procrastinate

– Pull all-nighters (FACT: an all-nighter is equivalent to suffering from a mild concussion)

– Don’t be afraid to approach people in class to befriend them! It may be awkward at first, but it will (usually) pay off!

Image Source: 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/149807_1…

Shuyin Yu

U Toronto

Shuyin is currently studying at the University of Toronto in the northern land of Canada. She specializes in English with a minor in Creative Expressions and spends her free time reading, writing, and being confused at other people. She has a passion for poetry, a soft spot for kittens, and a crippling caffeine addiction. Between her insanely complicated Starbucks drinks, ungodly large David’s Tea collection, she can be seen running around the St. George Campus, trying to figure out where her classes are. Luckily, she spends a good amount of her time in Graham Library and Hart House so she can always be found between the rich wood settings as she types away on her laptop. She also manages the social media outlets for the UToronto chapter, and is working on her GRE's while trying to boost her GPA. Besides working on a short story collection and a series of poetry for the past year, she occasionally freelances for the various papers and journals around campus. If she's staring at you, she's just people watching for inspiration. Maybe one day, she will be able to write full time--until then she’s moving full steam ahead towards graduate schools.