The AMA’s Best Looks (and where to find them for less!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Okay, I’ll admit it – I didn’t really watch the American Music Awards (AMAs) live because, well- midterm craziness. I definitely caught up a couple days after though, and particularly loved the red carpet segment! Style wise, I have some mixed feelings about some of the looks celebrities wore to the event. I’ll be focusing on the looks I loved most and where to get similar pieces without paying the hefty price tag. Oh how I love getting a good deal!

Here we go y’all!

Gigi Hadid

Gigi wore a white cut out dress from Bao Tranchi to the AMA’s this year, and although I’m not too big on cut out dresses, she was looking pretty amazing! Not to mention, she debuted her new and shorter do, which I think also looks great. After some googling, a typical BT dress is somewhere around $1000+ bucks. Crazy, right? Here’s a cheaper alternative:

So, it isn’t exactly the same, but I think it’s pretty close! You can find this dress on the Forever 21 Canada website, and it’s about $37.00 plus tax. Not too bad, I think!

Carrie Underwood 

Carrie’s dress by Elie Madie was all glitter and glam. I think I could’ve done without the drapery/cape thing going on, but I loved this dress. Here’s a copycat version:

With a similar feel, this dress from Suzy Shier costs $99.00 dollars plus tax. I think it would be perfect for a holiday party, don’t you?

Demi Lovato

Looking absolutely stunning with a vintage feel, Demi wore Lorena Sarbu with a deep red pout. You know how much I love that vintage glam look! Demi is killlllllling it. It was a little hard for me to a dress similar to this one, but here’s my best find:

Okay, so this dress isn’t a long sleeved floor length dress, nor is it shiny- but I think there’s something to be said about the pattern! This kind of vintage floral design echoes Demi’s dress… but anywho it’s just under $30.00!

Ciara

This has got to be my favorite dress of the night! It’s sheer, risque, and it has a cool kind of edginess to it. This Reem Acra gown is definitely badass and beautiful. Here’s the copycat:

Just like the two dresses above, this isn’t an exact copy of Ciara’s dress, but oh how I wish it was! This dress has a similar kind of edginess to it that Ciara’s dress has, and you can find this dress on the H&M website. It’s priced at about $60.00 plus tax.

Does anyone else have major dress envy? I just want to buy all these dresses and wear them to all the holiday parties I’m invited to! Is that too much to ask for Christmas?? 

Photo Sources:

I'm a Shakespeare loving, eyebrow obsessing beauty junkie, who adores all things having to do with Harry Potter, delicious food, and good music. After 4 years I've finally graduated from the oh so wonderful, University of Toronto and am currently working toward a Masters of Information degree.  I'd like to think of myself as a modern day romantic with an unquenchable wanderlust. My current dream is to one day go on an international library hopping adventure! For an aspiring special collections librarian, that is definitely at the top of my list post-graduation. I am a frequent visitor of the ROM and love going see the Nutcracker during the holidays. As a Decemeber baby myself, I absolutely love the winter time, the snow, the holiday cheer, and the half coffee half hot chocolates I get from Timmys. As for music, my likes are pretty much across the board! From John Mayer to Sam Smith, Debussy to Duke Ellington, Xtina to today's pop hits, you'll find me somewhere in the middle.On a regular day, you'll probably find me at home with my dog Kacy on a Mad Men binge, or catching up with Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, How To Get Away With Murder and Suits- ps. I love netflix!
Lisa Chen

U Toronto

Lisa Chen is currently a second year student majoring in the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (it's a thing - I swear!) with a minor in English and a joint minor with Singapore National University in Asian Culture and Literature. When she is not editing articles for HerCampus and marveling at the amazing content her writers produce, Lisa is an executive on the Arts and Science Student's Union (ASSU) where she represents and advocates for the interests of over 24,000 students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Lisa hopes to study law after graduation, preferably somewhere warm like California because Canadian winters are ridiculous and she loves high-waisted shorts. If you see her around campus, don't be afraid to come say hi! Especially if you love Adventure Time and Harry Potter as much as she does.