Aboard the Oxford Express: Stanley Chia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Name: Stanley Chia

Year: First-year

College: Trin

Program of Study: History

What are you plans for the summer?

I plan to learn more Beethoven sonatas on the piano, work to decrease the financial burden of my trip to Oxford, read many of Haruki Murakami’s works and write some short fiction.

What course are you taking at Oxford?

I’ll be taking History 357: Social History of Renaissance Europe. I honestly can’t wait to delve into my favourite European time period. According to the upper-years I’m close to, Professor Terpstra is a great course instructor so I’m excited to be able to part of this course with an inspiring professor like him.

What do you hope to get out of the course in Oxford that you can’t back at the University of Toronto?

I hope to see the applications of my learning illustrated in real-life, through the various course field trips planned in Oxford. The course outline states that these field trips include the Museum of London, Globe Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon, Hampton Court and Windsor Castle, and I’m definitely looking forward to seeing all these places for the first time. After all, it is one thing to sit in Sidney Smith learning about the renewal of classical antiquity and another thing altogether to sit in a classroom in Oxford discussing something that I have actually seen (or rather, will be seeing) for myself and drawing my own insights.

Are you worried that the workload will be difficult to balance with the shortened term and new environment?

No, I’m not worried. After all, my first priority at Oxford is to get at least seventy per cent for the course. First-year was all about finding that balance in life, and I think I can further hone that skill of mine while in Oxford. If anything, I’m more worried about missing my flight back together with my friends on Sunday night from Amsterdam or Paris.

What is an academic thing that you are looking forward to while studying abroad?

I’m looking forward to being able to study in the great libraries of Oxford.

What is a non-academic thing that you are looking forward to while studying abroad? There are honestly so many things! To pick one, it would be dressing up like Mr. Crawley from Downton Abbey during the high table events at Oxford. If that doesn’t qualify for non-academic, then being able to converse with the local Englishmen about issues related to not just Renaissance Europe, but also England’s relationship with the European Union.

Why did you choose summer abroad instead of a year or a semester abroad? 

I chose summer abroad because I believe it offers me a great way to make use of my first ever summer holiday. Since I grew up in Malaysia, I only had one long break, the end-of-year break lasting two months from November to December. Other school holidays were scattered public holidays throughout the school year. A semester abroad would have involved a lot of paper work too. What I like the most about the application process for summer abroad was that everything from start to finish can be done online. This definitely creates an incentive for any and all U of T students to apply for summer abroad.

What are you doing/have done to prepare for your trip?

I have purchased one out of three textbooks required for the course. I haven’t bought the rest because the U of T bookstore do not have them yet (and in fact the textbook that I bought was the last copy the bookstore had and it was labeled “final sale”). Also, I have emailed Professor Terpstra to introduce myself to him and to find out more about the course. Additionally, I have asked my sisters who graduated from England for advice about the culture and norms there.

Do you have any suggestions for people who are still apply/planning to apply for studies abroad?

Don’t be afraid of applying, just go for it! Write meaningful responses to each question and always be yourself in writing. Don’t procrastinate when applying. If you’re scared of being away from North America for the first time, don’t worry and just take a leap of faith.

Stay tuned for part 2 when the summer abroad trip is complete.

Image Sources:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10968361…

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10857795_1015290…

http://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/styles/ow_large_feature/public/field/field_image_main/GAF-MPLS-PAD.jpg?itok=xF9UTe6N

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1016868_10152838436712485_5216384524748595962_n.jpg?oh=f9b1fed536e7edc00f78d3a6f4cf709c&oe=559FCA34

Shuyin Yu

U Toronto

Shuyin is currently studying at the University of Toronto in the northern land of Canada. She specializes in English with a minor in Creative Expressions and spends her free time reading, writing, and being confused at other people. She has a passion for poetry, a soft spot for kittens, and a crippling caffeine addiction. Between her insanely complicated Starbucks drinks, ungodly large David’s Tea collection, she can be seen running around the St. George Campus, trying to figure out where her classes are. Luckily, she spends a good amount of her time in Graham Library and Hart House so she can always be found between the rich wood settings as she types away on her laptop. She also manages the social media outlets for the UToronto chapter, and is working on her GRE's while trying to boost her GPA. Besides working on a short story collection and a series of poetry for the past year, she occasionally freelances for the various papers and journals around campus. If she's staring at you, she's just people watching for inspiration. Maybe one day, she will be able to write full time--until then she’s moving full steam ahead towards graduate schools.