This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Tanmaya Ramprasad

During such bleak, uncertain times; it’s important to keep ourselves well and escape reality for a bit. This is the power of podcasts.

There’s no better time to explore some truly mesmerizing ones created by black content creators to enjoy and celebrate Black History Month. You can thank me later.

Gentler: Practical Self-Care by Maya Fleming

Starting off right, this podcast started by Maya revolves around all things self-care and teaches listeners about her journey and lessons on growth and shares her experiences with her personal development. Gentler offers us support in adulthood topics such as financial wellness, productivity, self-love and so much more in a friendly conversational format. If you love reflecting on yourself and learning how to be your best self, this one’s for you!

We Said What We Said by Rickey Thompson and Denzel Dion

Tea, tea and more tea! I’m just kidding, but this podcast is a staple to have in your library! Ricky and Denzel are both YouTube content creators and best friends who started this podcast together for fun. This dynamic duo chats about the latest in pop culture, trends and shares some funny stories about their lives. By the end of an episode, you’ll for sure have well-defined abs and feel uplifted in your mood. 

Dark and Lovely Pod by Deja and Tee

This podcast is one I recently discovered and fell in love with. Deja and Tee, two friends discuss all things about the black culture and their opinions as well as personal experiences. Conversations flow from body image, sisterhood and political issues and more. The podcast centers around speaking up for black voices and sharing the perspective of being young dark-skinned women in society. 

Small Doses with Amanda Seales

Another must-have to include in your podcast library. Amanda is a wonderful well-rounded host who focuses her podcast on the truth of our daily lives. This podcast discusses important topics from empowering the black community to personal growth, emotions, relationships and so much more. She can get serious or make you laugh with her relatable storytelling and Q and A sessions. With guest speakers on specific episodes, the podcast lets listeners get a chance to hear more perspectives, becoming more educated on important matters.

Code Switch by NPR

Code Switch is the podcast inclusive to everybody in society, focusing on identity. This podcast tackles tough conversations about race and its impacts on society throughout many aspects of our daily lives. It’s hosted by journalists that dive deep into storytelling and let the marginalized and repressed get a voice and be recognized finally. It’s definitely a must-have to really educate on these world matters and hear perspectives from various speakers.

Podcasts are the future, it’s such an incredible platform to connect with others through opinions and shine light on important topics to expand those conversations. Share these podcasts with friends, learn, laugh and enjoy!

Eboni is in her final year of studying journalism and minoring in media and film studies at the University of Toronto. With a love for all things music, fashion and wellness; Eboni is excited to share her passion for writing by unleashing her creativity and expressing herself to others. In her everyday life she focuses on fitness, indulging in a good book, taking photos and exploring new city spots (food related of course!)