5 Burning Questions I Have For the Netflix Gilmore Girls Revival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

WARNING: Spoilers Ahead 

I almost fell out of my bed when I saw my Facebook and Twitter feeds last week. It couldn’t possibly be true? COULD IT? At first, it was a mere rumour. Then it spread like wildfire before Netflix’s official announcement that they penned a limited revival of everyone’s favourite (early-Mid 2000’s) mom/daughter duo Dramedy: Gilmore girls #Luke andLorelaiForever

Gilmore Girls started when I was five in 2000 and every week, I would sit down, snuggle up next to my mom and watch the show. I watched the entire run from start to finish during the first airing until the finale in 2007. That was girls night in our household: me, my sister and our mom in pajamas in the living room. We laughed, cried and often we did both simultaneously and spit pop out of our noses.

I was so sad when it ended especially because I had so many questions left to be answered. What would become of the Incredible Sinking Lorelais? (Refer to season 4, episode 14)

Now I hope I will finally be able to lay these demons to rest. These are my five burning questions about the wacky and wild citizens of Stars Hollow. 

#1 What did Sookie and Jackson actually do with all of that pot?

You guys remember that episode. You have to. I’ll certainly never forget. Jackson accidently grew marijuana crops on his farm and attempted to get rid of the plants before the police saw, calling on his trusty wife, Sookie, to help him smuggle bags of pot across town square and into their house. Enter Lorelai, distraught over her breakup with Luke, who seeks refuge and wonders why her best friends house smells like a Bob Marley concert. There would be no mention of whatever became of Jackson’s accidental crop and I want to know where it disappeared to. Did they dump it in the river? Hide it in the church? Feed it unsuspectingly to Kirk, Miss Patty or Taylor? 

#2 Does Mrs. Kim still disapprove of everything Lane does? Does she hover over Lane’s children? Does Zach hide in the storage cupboard to escape her booming voice and piercing glare?

Lane’s mom (though she does mellow out in later seasons and allows Lane to follow her heart and become a musician) spent the first five seasons or so watching and planning Lane’s every move. Mrs Kim could turn on the family guilt like no other. Alternatively, when it came to defending her kid, no one was more of a badass than Mrs. Kim. Remember when she slapped Zach in the street when she thought he was mistreating Lane? I bet Mrs. Kim would be a loving grandma and Hep Alien’s #1 fan. However, she still strikes fear into the heart of Stars Hollow every so often in the way only an Asian Tiger Mama with a furniture shop can.

(PS: We still haven’t met Lane’s dad)

#3 Did Rory end up with Jess?

Say what you want and feel free to boo me, but I believe in a happy ending for Rory and her brooding ex boyfriend. A classic case of right guy, wrong time. Jess was not mature enough at the time to deal with a real relationship with himself and his family, let alone Rory. He worked to turn his life around and eventually become a decent, dependable guy that Rory could count on. Out of all of her boyfriends, he was the most down to earth (cough arrogant cough Logan) and the only one to call her out on her bad behavior when Logan had her acting like a spoiled rich brat. He was able to turn his life around and build a successful career for himself as an author/book publisher. His love of literature/life/pop culture and his whip smart sarcastic ways, deep intelligence and quiet compassion made him the most compatible and, dare I say, likeable boyfriend of Rory’s.

He could be a jerk from time to time, but he matched his uncle Luke in personality for the most part. If you had to live with Jess’s mom and constantly be told that you weren’t worthy because you weren’t raised right, wouldn’t you be a bit angsty, too? Did anyone else catch that Rory’s campaign tour as a journalist was going to Philadelphia, where Jess lives and works? And that she refused Logan’s marriage proposal not long before. Hmm I wonder. 

#4 Is Taylor still the mayor of Stars Hollows?

Has anyone even bothered to challenge him since Jackson? Taylor was a constant headache, nuisance and all around annoying busybody in the Gilmores’ and especially Luke’s lives. He crashed cars through Luke’s window, brought up Luke and Loreali’s relationship as an order of business at town meetings and tried to do everything to stop Loreali from opening her inn. Oh Taylor, what has happened with you? Do you own all of Stars Hollows, now? Moved on to brighter pastures as a senator or *gasp* president (of the knitting society)? Oh the possibilities. I miss his sassy ways. 

and finally LUKE/LORELAI

HOUSE? SIBLINGS FOR RORY? VISITS FROM JESS AND APRIL??? KARAOKE SERENADES?? SKATING RINKS??? DID THEY USE THE CHUPPAH???

Better be all of those. Only the best for my favourite couple in Stars Hollow. You knew he loved her when they got locked in the diner together in season 1 and he was disappointed to hear she was dating Max. 

The man threw a town-wide going away party for Rory when he’d been broken up with Lorelai a year, just to see her happy. 

Oh, I can’t wait to see if Paris marries Doyle and if she becomes a life coach or a doctor. Does Kirk still live with his mother? Did Ms. Patty really retire from show biz? How’s Emily doing so long after Richard dies? Are Friday night dinners still a thing? 

I guess I’ll have to wait like everyone else to find out the answers, when Gilmore Girls returns for four ninety-minute episodes/mini-movies in 2016!

Samantha Allison is a second year English major at U of T. This is her second attempt at conquering the blogging universe and hopes it pans out this time around.In her spare time she rocks out to Indie music and spends way too much time looking up videos on YouTube.
Lisa Chen

U Toronto

Lisa Chen is currently a second year student majoring in the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (it's a thing - I swear!) with a minor in English and a joint minor with Singapore National University in Asian Culture and Literature. When she is not editing articles for HerCampus and marveling at the amazing content her writers produce, Lisa is an executive on the Arts and Science Student's Union (ASSU) where she represents and advocates for the interests of over 24,000 students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Lisa hopes to study law after graduation, preferably somewhere warm like California because Canadian winters are ridiculous and she loves high-waisted shorts. If you see her around campus, don't be afraid to come say hi! Especially if you love Adventure Time and Harry Potter as much as she does.