5 Books to Make You Fall in Love with Reading Again

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

By Megan Cambruzzi

I can confidently say that reading is my favourite hobby. For a long time I was wrapped up with work, school, and everything else going on in my life and, unfortunately, lost touch with reading. Now, reading is a top priority for me. It’s a relaxing hobby, which allows me to use my brain in the best possible way. Not only is reading such a relaxing activity, but talking about books I enjoy have brought me such a beautiful community of fellow readers (if you’re on bookstagram or booktok, you know what I mean). If you’re looking for a book to start that will get you addicted to reading, look no further – here are my top 5 books that I’ve read in the last few months. 

5. Fix Her Up – Tessa Bailey. 

This book was super cute! It’s a romance novel which has the sweetest tropes such as fake-dating, older brother’s best friend, small town romance, I hate everyone but you. There was a great mix of spice and cutesy scenes. This book was a bit slow to get into, but I found myself absolutely in love with the content and the characters. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

4. The Love Hypothesis – Ali Hazelwood.

This book was more childlike, in my opinion, as the main character seemed to have a more childlike approach to love, whereas her academic goals were set in stone. I found a connection to this book as the main character is a Torontonian. This book had tropes such as fake-dating, age gap, slow burn romance, and I hate everyone but you. There were some fun plot twists and once again, a good mix of spicy and cutesy scenes. Again, this book was a bit slow to get into for me, but due to all of the great reviews, I continued on and found myself majorly enjoying it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3. Reminders of Him – Colleen Hoover

Don’t get me started on Colleen, hands down best author to have ever roamed the earth. This book was more than just romance, it was solely about the importance of family and forgiveness. It will make you throw your book at the other side of the room, sob, pick it back up, and carry on because you need to know what happens. This book is fabulous and an easy read, leaving you wanting more as soon as you close the book for good. There are so many beautiful quotes as well. The only trope which is residing in this book is a slow burn romance … the rest, I’ve never seen before. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

2. Verity – Colleen Hoover

This book is both a thriller and a romance novel. It is super interesting how the story continues to tell itself in multiple timelines. This book left me needing to finish it because of how terrified I was of certain characters. This book will leave you questioning everything – is there ever a black and white answer to anything, or is a grey area always possible? Certain tropes that were used … I’m not too sure. There aren’t many cutesy scenes, but a heavy amount of spice. This book left me too stunned to relate it to anything else because it was unlike anything I’ve ever read before. Excellent. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

1. Ugly Love – Colleen Hoover

Are you even surprised Colleen claimed the top spot? I read this book last month and three words: Best. Book. Ever. This book left me running around my house like a maniac trying to find tissues because my tears were so heavy. This book brings out every emotion. The idea of multiple timelines is very appealing to me, and Colleen uses her phenomenal writing skills to take full advantage of using multiple timelines. The plot twist in this book is heart-wrenching and again, this whole book will have you questioning everything about what you’ve read. Certain tropes include I hate everyone but you, sneaky links, and brother’s best friend. While there are various cutesy scenes, this book holds a lot of spice. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

If you read any of these books, let me know! Message me on my bookstagram → @megansgoodreads