This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Anna Maria Sordjan

It doesn’t hurt a little to spend a pretty penny on a new liquid lipstick shade or a highlighter palette. After all, a girl’s gotta treat herself once in a while. Indulge in your inner beauty junkie while supporting charitable beauty brands that give back to the community. We’ve curated five phenomenal beauty brands that exceed in product quality and champion important philanthropic causes.

Cheekbone Beauty

First Nations children get 30-50% fewer funds for education than the rest of Canadian children. This small Canadian beauty brand aims to address issues affecting First Nations children and families with 10% of all profits from purchases going towards the First Nations Child & Family Caring Society of Canada. “In addition to Cheekbone’s mission, I strive to educate as many Canadians as possible about the Residential School System and the effects it has had on my family and friends through decades of generational trauma,” says Founder, Jenn Harper of her brand. Our favourite product? The long-lasting liquid lipstick’s matte formula lasts for 8 hours with no feathering and rich pigment starting at $29. All products are cruelty-free and shipping is free to US and Canada on all orders $99+.

Thrive Causemetics

Touched by the loss of a friend to cancer, makeup artist and Thrive Causemetics Founder, Karissa Bodnar aimed to start a business that does much more than empower women. Thrive Causemetics donates a product to women in need with each purchase through their Beauty with a Purpose program. Partnering with organizations such as Spoil Me Pink, Make a Wish Foundation, Young Survival Coalition and the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund Alliance, products are donated to women experiencing cancer, homelessness, or domestic violence. Our pick? The Perfect Eye Palette in Warm Neutrals at $45. All products are vegan and cruelty free.

The Lipstick Lobby

We fully support makeup brands that smash the patriarchy.  The Lipstick Lobby is a social justice movement that empowers women to fight for critical issues through statement lip products. “Wearing our lipstick is a reminder that small actions can create big waves. It’s a simple way to speak up and speak out against the threats to our civil freedoms. It’s a small thing we can all do right here, right now to create change” reads a statement from their website. A few of the organizations supported include the unPrison Project, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, the ACLU, and Planned Parenthood. 100% of net profits from shades including Kiss My Pink, FIRED UP, and In the Clear will be donated to the above. Our favourite? The ‘Outrage’ lipstick in a rich blue-red hue packed with vitamins E and C. The best part? The shade is inclusive to all skin tones.  The brand also sells statement graphic tees, pillows and totes.

Beautiful Rights

Feel fabulous wearing luxury beauty products while championing for women’s rights and gender justice initiatives. 20% of all sales support an organization of your choice. Partnered organizations include Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, March for our Lives, Planned Parenthood, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and Emily’s List among many others.

Mayfair Soap Foundry

Emulating luxurious modern design and British sensibility, Mayfair Soap Foundry goes beyond creating luxury bath and body care products with proceeds going towards the Starlight Children’s Foundation. Purchases fund programs for children suffering from chronic illnesses. “For 35 years, Starlight’s programs have positively impacted more than 60 million critically, chronically and terminally ill or injured children in the US, Canada, Australia, and the UK” reads a statement. “With each item purchased, Mayfair Soap Foundry helps provide moments of joy and normalcy, such as camp experiences, for American families going through difficult health challenges in partnership with Starlight Children’s Foundation.”

Ann Marie Elpa

U Toronto '21

Ann Marie Elpa is a third-year student at Victoria College at the University of Toronto St. George. She majors in both English and Book and Media Studies, hoping to pursue a career in journalism. Apart from being involved with the HerCampus team, Ann Marie currently serves as the President of Alpha Omicron Pi's Beta Tau Chapter and has bylines in NBGA Mag, The Varsity, The Strand and HuffPost. She is also a brand ambassador for companies such as Sephora, Bumble, Michael Kors and Hallmark. Ann loves a good Starbucks coffee and a rom-com.