Wellness

4 IOS Apps to Improve Your Mental & Physical Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Tasmiyah Randeree

When thinking about mental and physical health, we tend to say a good way to improve both is to limit your use of electronic devices. However, there are several apps you can use to better your mental AND physical health. If you’re going to be spending your time on these devices anyway, why not put it to good use? Here are 4 apps that you can use to improve your mental and physical health and use your electronic devices to help, rather than hinder your wellbeing.

Bedtime

The first app is not an app at all but rather a feature built into the clock app on IOS devices. In one of the latest IOS updates, it brought a feature called Bedtime a useful feature which creates a better sleeping pattern. A lot of the time, especially when you’re trying to manage a busy schedule, you tend to sacrifice your sleep. However, sleep is important in order to feel energized and be able to function to the best of your ability throughout the day. This feature on the clock app allows you to visually see what time you should go to sleep in order to get an appropriate amount of sleep. For adults, it’s best to get around 6 – 8 hours of sleep and keeping track using this feature allows you to form a pattern and hopefully create a better sleeping schedule.

Seven – 7 Minute Workout

The next app focuses on improving your physical health. Working out and eating healthier tends to be put on the back burn especially when you have other things to worry about like school, work, your social life, etc. However, this app focuses on doing workouts at smaller intervals, making it easier for you to set aside time in your day to do these short exercises. Seven – 7 Minute Workout is an app that presents you with short exercises that you can probably set aside some time to do throughout the day. It’s a great way to just improve your physical health in smaller bursts and useful if you’re trying to work your way to longer workouts or going to the gym.

Plant Nanny

Water is important in order to feel refreshed and energized throughout the day. Most people are not drinking enough water every day and when we drink coffee or soda, we’re not fueling our bodies. The app Plant Nanny allows you to track how much water you drink throughout the day in order to make sure you’re drinking enough. You can choose from a variety of cute plants that you nurture and grow on the app by keeping track of how much water you’re drinking every day.

Lake

Colouring is not just for children! Colouring can be a great stress reliever because you take a few minutes out of your day to do something fun. The app Lake allows you to colour on the go without having to carry around art supplies. All the supplies you need are provided with various brush styles and colours to choose from in the app. If you’re looking for something fun to do during your study breaks or when you’re feeling stressed then this app is great for that.

Hopefully one of these apps will help you to use your electronic devices for improving both your mental and physical health!