14 Healthy Valentine’s Day Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and stores are pulling all the stops when it comes to heart shaped chocolates, truffles, and overpriced sweets. For those looking for healthier alternatives, HerCampus went out and compiled a list of 14 delicious and nutritious romantic alternatives.

No. Resist.

Not only will these recipes help keep you healthy, they will also keep your wallet full and your New Years Resolutions guilt free. Whether you are making these with a special someone, for your special someone, or for yourself (because you are worth it), these are a great way to expand your cooking skills.

1. Chocolate Covered Fruit

We all knew this was coming, so let’s start off with a cliche (but delicious) substitution. Chocolate covered fruits are always popular. Strawberries, cherries, clementines are the most popular, but you can switch things up with other fruits, yogurt, caramel; it’s all up to you.

2. Fruit with Cream

Another classic, fruit and whipped cream is delicious and is perfect for people who don’t care much for chocolate. Try this recipe with mascarpone or a paleo coconut substitute.

3. Fruit Parfait

Variant of the fruit with whipped cream, this even healthier alternative can be jazzed up with heart shaped fruits and granola. You can also make kabobs with the heart shaped fruit and serve it up with a yogurt dip.

4. Romantic Salad

If you’re really strict about that New Year’s Resolution and plans to make a salad, try this adorable trick. Turn tomatoes into little hearts, pierced with a toothpick “arrow” and set on top of fancy grilled romaine. It’s all very romaine-tic.

5. Potato Hearts

Lettuce not your thing? There’s always this potato recipe that’s delicious and a great side for anything you might be cooking. It takes a bit of effort, but the results are sure to impress.

6. Heart Shaped Sushi

From my experience, restaurants tend to be packed on Valentine’s Day, and that means you either have to plan ahead or make your favourite dishes at home. Sushi is great because most recipes can easily be made into hearts.

7. Tea (You have to make it work)

Tea is great–filled with antioxidants and flavour. DavidsTea’s Valentine’s line just came out, with flavours such as Cherry Blossom, Red Velvet, and Love Potion #7 available in heart shaped containers. However, you can also make your own tea bags just for this occasion.

8. Heart Meringues

These light, airy desserts are almost completely fat free, and always impresses. Meringues take a while to bake, but once they’re in, you can forget about them until the buzzer rings. Try them dipped in chocolate or covered in sprinkles.

9. Heart Macaroons

Think of this recipe as a Heart Meringue: Round Two. Macaroons are finicky things, but they are just as delicious when they’re round or misshaped. But for those looking for a challenge, macaroons are a sure way to show you care.

10. Heart Shaped Pie

Fruit pies are a great way to get more fruit into your diet. This recipe makes heart shape pies with pre made sugar cookie dough and jam, but you can definitely buffer the jam with fresh fruit as well.

11. Champagne Jelly

Celebrating with bubbly, but to change it up? Champagne jelly is delicate and beautiful, with fruit sometimes suspended in an effervescent gel. Whether it’s with summer fruit or with prosecco, it’s definitely worth celebrating.

12. Fruit Brulee

Creme Brulee might be a Valentine’s Day favourite, but you can totally skip the custard and just use fruit instead. This is also a great alternative for people who are getting tired of all the berries, and want something new like mangos or grapefruit.

13. Guilt-free Chocolate Mousse

Need a fancy, romantic dessert? Try this dairy free mousse that skips the cream and eggs for a soy alternative. If you’re not into the tofu substitute, there’s also a chocolate pudding that uses avocados instead.

14. Healthy Truffles

Can’t resist those creamy, soft, decadent chocolate truffles just waiting for you to sink your teeth into? We’ve got you covered–quite literally with cocoa powder. These chocolate truffles are a healthy guilt free way to enjoy chocolate, and you can barely taste the secret ingredient.

Other Image Sources:

http://onwardstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/valentines-day-chocolate-1.jpg

Shuyin Yu

U Toronto

Shuyin is currently studying at the University of Toronto in the northern land of Canada. She specializes in English with a minor in Creative Expressions and spends her free time reading, writing, and being confused at other people. She has a passion for poetry, a soft spot for kittens, and a crippling caffeine addiction. Between her insanely complicated Starbucks drinks, ungodly large David’s Tea collection, she can be seen running around the St. George Campus, trying to figure out where her classes are. Luckily, she spends a good amount of her time in Graham Library and Hart House so she can always be found between the rich wood settings as she types away on her laptop. She also manages the social media outlets for the UToronto chapter, and is working on her GRE's while trying to boost her GPA. Besides working on a short story collection and a series of poetry for the past year, she occasionally freelances for the various papers and journals around campus. If she's staring at you, she's just people watching for inspiration. Maybe one day, she will be able to write full time--until then she’s moving full steam ahead towards graduate schools.