This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

It’s officially October so you know what that means, fall, pumpkin spiced lattés and most importantly, HALLOWEEN! I get extremely excited this time of year because despite all the studying we have to do for midterms, it feels really nice to unwind and put on a classic Halloween movie (which is obviously Halloween Town) on a boring Friday night. Not to mention, planning your squad costumes with your best friends for the coolest Halloween parties on campus. After the eventful year that we’ve had, all the craziness that is happening in the current presidential debates, the hundreds of thousands of #RIPHarambe memes and all the new anti-superhero movies that came out, I have a feeling we will be seeing some reoccurring popular costumes this year. Here are the top 10 most popular costumes that you will probably get sick of seeing on Instagram feed in 2016

Scary Clowns

Some bizarre folks out there have already started Halloween early this year by roaming around the streets of neighbourhoods in scary clown costumes. I for one am not the biggest fan of clowns, let alone creepy clowns but I have a strong feeling we’ll be seeing some terrifying ones lurking the streets on Halloween this year.

Price (Party City): $39.99

Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton

What’s scarier than creepy clowns? Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton *shivers*. The thought alone of one of these two controlling the most powerful country in the world is enough to send chills down your spine. But nonetheless, there are some pretty funny ugly Trump and Clinton masks out in stores and I would get a kick out of seeing a squad dressed as the presidential candidates. Just please do not make a sexy Donald Trump costume, that is never okay.

Price (Party City): $39.99 + pair with a suit 

Sarah Rocksdale’s Donald Trump Halloween Costume: whatever makeup you have + Donald Trump Wig (15$) + suit 

Harambe

Oh Harambe, rest in peace you beautiful, hairy beast. Memes are the epitome of our current generation, so why let one of the most popular memes of the year die out before Halloween?  But make sure not to have a fake child attached to your costume, that would be insensitive … *dies of laughter as I type this*

Price (Amazon): $58.00

Suicide Squad

Of course the most popular superhero movie of the year, which in my opinion was quite the disappointment, but I digress: Suicide Squad. These costumes are the ultimate #squadgoal costumes of the year. Not to mention the amount of couples we will see dressed up as Harley Quinn and the Joker. These costumes seem like a lot of fun because with a little bit of makeup and DIY you can make a kick ass costume right from your home.

Price (Party City): $59.99

Nikkie Tutorial’s Sucide Squad Harley Quinn Glam Makeup Tutorial: all products used are listed in the description of her video

Deadpool

Now, for my favourite superhero movie of the year, I’m sure all the guys this Halloween will want to feel as cool as Ryan Reynolds (except that will never happen) and dress up as Deadpool.

Price (Party City): $59.99

Stranger Things

The best thing to happen to popular culture this year, in my opinion, was the Stranger Things mania that took the world by storm on Netflix. You’ll definitely be seeing a bunch of little Eleven’s and of course my favourite, Barb’s, roaming around the streets. Also, this is another perfect idea for you #squadgoals costumes, if you want to be the dynamic foursome: Will, Mike, Dustin and Lucas.

Don’t forget your box of Eggo’s Waffle’s!

Pokémon trainer

This was the year where all our childhood dreams came back to life and Pokémon took over the world again with one of the most popular mobile games in history: Pokémon Go. Finally, you can actually feel like a true Pokémon trainer by dressing up as one and running around the streets trying to catch ‘em all.

Ghostbusters

Who you gonna call for the perfect Halloween costume, Ghostbusters of course! This classic action packed film with a new all female cast is another ideal costume choice for groups, and the perfect throwback costume.

Price (Party City): $49.99

Beyoncé’s “Lemonade”

The most epic visual album of all time hath graced us this year and of course I’m talking about Beyoncé’s Lemonade. The best part, all you need to recreate this look is a yellow dress and a baseball bat and have hot sauce in your bag, swag.

American Horror Story

If ever you have no idea what to be for Halloween, simply pick and choose any character from AHS and I’m sure you’ll look absolutely terrifying for Halloween. My person favourites are, obviously Tate Langdon, the Countess and almost any one from Freak-show.

Sanna Kauhanen’s American Horror Story Skull Makeup Tutorial 

Most likely binge watching an entire series in a day or eating. 20 years young | Full Time Dog Lover | Ethics, Society, Law and Criminology Student | Self-Proclaimed Makeup Artist I prefer my puns intended.
Jina Aryaan is one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief of Her Campus UToronto. She is a fourth year student pursuing a major in Sociology, and a double minor in French and Latin American Studies at the University of Toronto. She has been working with Her Campus since her first year of University, and she is also highly involved on campus through various other leadership positions. When she's not busy studying, you can catch her running around campus to get to her next class or meeting. When she has some spare time, she's likely busy writing, discussing politics, or spending quality time with friends and family.