Workout, Earn Points with Nike+ FuelBand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Since I got my Nike+ FuelBand last May, I’ve only taken it off to shower.

The FuelBand relies on a theory of competition. You compete against yourself. It’s genius because the system is wholly self-reliant; you don’t need anyone to compete against (though if you want, you can add friends and compare stats). You set a goal and throughout the day you can see a string of lights gradually illuminate.

I’m obsessed with getting Fuel points, and I compulsively check to see if I’ve hit my goal. My goal everyday is 3,500 Fuel points. Fuel points cannot be converted to anything recognizable since they’re essentially an arbitrary system. The average number of points a fairly sedentary, nine-to-fiver gets in a day is 2,000. These 2,000 points are comparable to the 10,000 recommended steps you ought to take each day. I hit my 3,500-point goal roughly four times a week. If I go to the gym, I definitely reach my goal and if I have a lot of errands I can hit it that way, too. You can also set long-term goals, like getting 500,000 points over 3 months.

The display on the FuelBand shows calories burned, steps taken and the time in addition to Fuel points. The reasoning behind the unusual point system is that I could feasibly workout as hard as Roger Federer or Wayne Rooney regardless of my skill level or fitness; the Fuel points put everyone on a level playing field. You receive points for any activity that requires you to move.

The drawbacks to the bracelet-like band are that cycling and any other motion that does not involve moving your arm/wrist/hand does not clock in many points. You can also cheat if you just shake the FuelBand around.

The FuelBand works in conjunction with an app. You can review your points for the day, week, month and year from your phone. Your daily activity is shown in a graph like this:

Your weekly data appears as such:

And this is how a month is reviewed:

For Fitbit and other device touters, there is a reason why the FuelBand has a greater appeal. Once again, the competition factor drives you to be more active.

Fitbits are hidden and don’t have the same motivational factor. Wearing the FuelBand on your wrist means you are always cognizant of it. If its already 3 PM and you’re far from reaching your daily goal, it’s time to hit the gym or take the stairs instead of the elevator. The FuelBand is a constant reminder that you should be active. It’s the embodiment of Bill Bowerman’s famous words, “If you have a body you’re an athlete.”

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn