Winter Staples: Our Picks on Basic Clothes and Accessories to Keep You Warm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Winter staples

As Collegiettes return to Penn for the second semester, they can expect the cool greeting of the Philadelphia winter season. It’s time to pack up the shorts and tank tops and pull out your coats and cardigans. The winter season adds a little more drama to our morning dressing rituals. Some days the cold weather will make the idea of dressing up intolerable, but a girl still has to get out and attend her many social engagements no matter how cold the temperatures may drop. Winter fashion requires a few staples. A good coat, cardigan, and/or sweater to bundle up; a solid pair of boots to walk around campus in; and tights or leggings are inexpensive ways to keep you warm and fashionable. Here are our picks.

Coats

A warm but stylish coat is a must. The coat will dominate any other article of clothing you are wearing so go for a winter coat that both keeps you warm and looks good with everything. Pick a coat that you love and that doesn’t bulge up when you put it on over the layers of shirts and sweaters you already have underneath. If you don’t already have a winter coat I suggest going for a basic black, navy or camel color, so you can wear it often without it looking too repetitive in your everyday wardrobe.  Then afterwards you can invest your hard earned cash in coats or jackets in any shade of color you like.

1. H&M Jacket $49.95

2. Dorothy Perkins Camel Stormflap Coat $44

[pagebreak]
Cardigan/Knit Sweater

Knits, knits, knits: there is nothing more in style this winter.  This is the ideal closet item for the early morning rush to class. Just grab yourself a sweater and brave the chilly temps. Like any other winter item, there is no shortage of knits or cardigans this winter season. If the sweater or cardigan you are wearing isn’t going to cut it against the freezing temps, go for lighter fabrics so you can layer a coat over them.

1. Hercinia Jumper From All Saints Sweater $175

2. Forever 21 Knit Cardigan $24.80

3. ASOS Cable Sweater $54

[pagebreak]
Boots

Riding boots, motorcycle boots, combat boots  the options for boots during the winter season are endless. You can find a pair of boots at almost any shopping place. For walking around campus in winter weather, I’d definitely recommend no heel. For more special outing in winter, say a nice dinner or formal meeting, a heeled boot or bootie would be a worthwhile investment. 

Tights/leggings

Tights and leggings are something that almost every girl on campus has in her closet. They are a quick and simple method of keeping your legs warm in the cold weather. They also give you the chance to add personality to your outfits. Pick from any color and any pattern. Using tights and leggings also lets you layer so you can look fashionable as you walk from class to class in freezing cold. Just because it’s winter it doesn’t mean you can’t wear a dress or skirt to class. Sweater tights are a bit pricier than regular tights but they keep you warm and comfy.

1. Opaque Tights, Nordstrom

2. Sweater Tights, Target

Extras

1. Chapstick: Don’t forget to keep chapstick or lip balm on hand to keep you lips safe from the harsh winter weather. 

2. Scarf: A scarf is the perfect way to add a pop of color to a very bland outfit. It’s the perfect and inexpensive accessory that will keep you bundled up and fashionable, and don’t forget a pair of gloves. 

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.