This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

When Selena Gomez first launched Rare Beauty last month, I was skeptical. In the age of Instagram sponsorships and brand deals, it’s not uncommon for a celebrity to attach their name to a new product – especially in the beauty industry. However, after doing some research on the brand, it was clear to me that this line goes beyond money and is truly focused on having a positive impact on its users. Here’s why Rare Beauty is an important addition to the beauty industry:

Diversity

Similar to Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty, Gomez’s line has 48 shades of foundation and concealer. In an industry where inclusivity is an important concern, Rare Beauty makes it clear that everyone deserves to have access to products that suit their skin tone. Along with the shade range, Rare Beauty also offers diversity in its packaging; many of the products have caps that resemble balls, so they are easier to open for people with conditions that make it difficult to do so. As Gomez herself struggles with lupus, it’s clear that this design is an intentional, positive stride toward making beauty products more accessible for everyone.

A “Rare” Mission 

Rare Beauty’s appeal is its authenticity. Gomez has been working on this line for two years now, and its launch focuses on consumers. To market her brand, she recruited customers to take part in a promotional video and to take untouched pictures of themselves for the Rare Beauty Instagram page. This honest marketing emphasizes Gomez’s mission to “promote self-acceptance.” The brand is focused on embracing imperfections and loving yourself. In her own words, “you are meant to be who you are, and you’re rare.” 

Going Beyond the Makeup

Rare Beauty has also done philanthropic work, launching the Rare Impact Fund with the goal of raising $100 million to help people gain access to mental health resources. Fostering a accepting community under the hashtag #WeAreRare, Rare Beauty is more than just a makeup brand. Gomez’s products are also vegan, cruelty-free, and sustainably packaged. Selena has truly put a lot of thought into her line and created a way to give back to the community meaningfully. 

Positive Reviews!

Obviously, this is a makeup line, so it’s imperative that it performs well in terms of beauty products. Luckily, the reviews are in, and they are overwhelmingly positive! Many Youtubers have reviewed the brand, including NikkieTutorials, who actually did a video with Gomez to talk more about the brand’s mission and its authenticity. Fan-favorite products include the Lip Soufflé Matte Cream Lipstick (with 12 shades) and the Brow Harmony Pencil and Gel (a well-pigmented 2-in-1 product). 

Overall, Gomez has truly outdone herself with this brand. As someone who grew up in the spotlight as an iconic part of many 2000s kids’ childhoods, it’s clear that she’s using her immense platform to make a positive impact. If you want to shop Rare Beauty and all its products or simply learn more, you can visit its website or find it in stores and online at Sephora

Dhatri is a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania who is majoring in Networked and Social Systems Engineering. She's from Michigan, but she's super excited to be spending the next four years in Philly. When she isn't journaling or cooking, you can probably find her somewhere eating ice cream, painting her nails, and listening to Ariana Grande.