Why I’m Still On Facebook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

I got bored of Facebook. After Snapchat and Instagram came along, I basically had enough social media outlets to sustain me in times of boredom or procrastination. Not to mention, these apps are much more convenient to scroll through on your phone while you’re covertly trying to hide it in class. My news feed had become far less intriguing to me. Maybe it’s because I really didn’t care what anyone was doing over spring break, or didn’t need to see 50 of the same pictures of my friends drunk at a party – that I was also at— from last weekend. I was there and experienced it too, thanks. Plus, I’ve (almost) moved on from the phase of posting way too many photos to my own albums–mostly because I’ve realized that no one aside from myself, those who are tagged in my them, or my mom (who probably doesn’t approve of half of them) wants to see my pictures anyways.

Needless to say- Facebook was becoming more and more irrelevant for me. UNTIL…Tasty videos.

Tasty videos, created by Buzzfeed, are my new obsession. Yes I’m talking about those 30 second quick videos of people creating the most delicious creations- whether it’s finger food, full blown entrees, or whimsical fun desserts- I love it all! I honestly don’t even know why these videos are so captivating. Maybe it’s because whoever the geniuses are that construct these delectable masterpieces do it so carelessly and so perfectly- literally never missing a single step in the process. They make it look so effortless. Like I, too, could create homemade poptarts or cake pops or all the things coated in chocolate  ~ and make it look good too. I know, in reality, that if I actually were to attempt to do so I would probably light my kitchen on fire before I made something that looked anything as good as these dishes do. But it’s the hope that one day I too, can be a speedy chef that keeps me mesmerized.

Buzzfeed also launched a sister site- Proper Tasty- that features recipes from across the pond. These are interesting because some of the videos of British dishes are things I had never heard of before. They makes me feel ~cultured~.

There have been other similar pages that create this type of content. For example, Tastemade releases food videos, and its site Sweeten is focused on dessert content.

Even the “Wallstreet Journal” http://www.wsj.com/articles/food-videos-rule-on-facebook-1448276400 and “Fortune” http://fortune.com/2016/01/19/buzzfeed-tasty-proper-tasty/ have something to say about this fad.

So basically, these tiny little clips of food being created at lightspeed- is Facebook’s most redeeming quality. I’m very seriously considering unfriending everyone and just following these videos.