This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

The recent Oprah interview with Meghan and Harry had tens of millions of viewers on the edge of their seats; the ex–royal couple spilled the inner workings of the conflict and disrespect that spoiled their lives as Duke and Duchess of Sussex. As the media was flooded with disturbing anecdotes and recounts of offensive remarks once made by the royal family, viewers began to turn their heads, awaiting an explanation from the other side. To the dismay of many, though, minimal explanation has surfaced.

About a day and a half after the interview aired, the official statement from Buckingham Palace was released: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

This response, considered bleak and insufficient by various sources, is the entirety of the official response—but the rest of the country has spoken much louder. Most prominently, notorious Good Morning Britain talk show host Piers Morgan quit after being repeatedly called out for his racist comments and outward disrespect towards Markle after the interview. 

After questioning whether particular behaviors were even racist at all, titling his MailOnline column “Meghan and Harry’s nauseating two–hour Oprah whine–athon was a disgraceful diatribe of cynical race–baiting propaganda designed to damage the Queen as her husband lies in hospital—and destroy the Monarchy”, and alleging that he neither sympathizes with Markle’s mental health struggle nor believes her experiences with racism, Morgan decided to quit, storming out after a commercial break. This came after a number of guests on his show directly called him out for the aforementioned comments, among others. 

Additionally, a host of the British talk show Loose Women, Jane Moore, is under fire from the media for probing at the validity of Markle’s claims about racism—specifically those regarding the color of her unborn baby’s skin. Such highly–broadcasted opinions have sparked more conversations about race and the institution of the royal family. But these aren’t the only sparks.

Forbes mentions that the former Prime Minister of Australia, Malcolm Turnbull, noted that the interview bolstered his view that Australia should sever its ties with the British Monarchy. This question of national ties to the country is not isolated: reporters asked New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern whether this situation would affect ties between the two countries—she claimed she did not foresee this effect.

On one hand, the interview has triggered conversation and increased spotlight on the monarchy: #AbolishTheMonarchy was trending after it was aired. At the same time, though, professionals do not anticipate any monumental institutional shifts to come. 

Sarah Richardson, a modern British history professor at the University of Warwick, predicts a “dip in support for the royal family,” yet underscores the importance of the distinction between their popularity as celebrity figures and the constitutional role of the monarchy. The latter, she predicts, will not be affected. Professor Christy Pichichero of George Mason University agrees, alleging that the effects are “unlikely to cause a political shockwave or mass departures from the Commonwealth.”

Moreover, Insider predicts that the high–grossing royalty–based tourism business is unlikely to bear any damage from the interview. The operations director at British Tours believes there will be no lasting monetary effect—in the past, being in the spotlight has only increased tourism. 

Though it’s been less media–trendy since the initial shock of the interview, analyzing the aftermath is also crucial in order to understand the longterm effects. Though professionals don’t predict it’s likely to topple any long–standing institutions, it’s certainly sparked long overdue conversations about racism for the edification of both the public and the privileged celebrity elite.

Amy N Weiner

U Penn '24

Amy is a freshman from Chicago studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics in the College of Arts and Sciences. She loves spending time with friends and family, and loves to meet new people! She used to play tennis, and now is a frequent SoulCycle and CorePower yoga patron. A philosophy she lives by is that the "phone eats first", and she loves to discover the best food places to go. Some of her favorite texts to receive are music recommendations, and her music taste ranges from Taylor Swift to Drake to Luke Bryan. She values giving back to her community, and is involved in several charitable organizations. Amy is so excited to be a part of Her Campus!