Style

What to Wear in that Awkward Almost Spring, but Still Cold Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Ah yes, it’s almost that time of year again, when the sun starts to come out, the sky is blue, and people are smiling…it’s finally spring! With spring finally here, it should be warm outside, right? Unfortunately, that is not quite the case yet in Philly. Yes, 40 to 50 degrees is warm in comparison to the bitter 20 degrees we were experiencing in January, but it’s not really sundress and sandals weather just yet.  So, what do you wear when it’s kind of cold but also kind of warm and you are completely sick of wearing your dark winter knits? Here’s my style guide for what to wear in that awkward, almost spring but still cold period:

1.   Color

If you’re like me, then you usually stick to dark colors, blacks, and neutrals; however, adding some colorful pieces into your wardrobe can really help transition your style into spring! Try pastel blues, pinks, purples or some more vibrant yellows, greens, and reds. You can add color to your style in many different ways, whether through colorful sweaters and long sleeves, or maybe even donning a jewel toned sneaker or jacket just to add a slight pop to your outfit! Trust me, color is a great, easy way to put a spring in your step and your style! Here are a few of my favorite colorful pieces to wear right now: Reformation Cropped Cashmere Crew, For Love & Lemons Lauryn V Neck Knit, Urban Outfitters Out From Under Quebec Ruched Thermal Top,  Free People Weekend Puffer Jacket, Common Projects Achilles Low Sneakers, New Balance 574 Classic Sneaker.

2.   Denim

Ok, I know denim is no revolutionary concept…most of us wears jeans almost every day. But, wearing some light wash denim pieces can make your style brighter while also keeping you warm! Denim jeans, jackets, and even shoes are all great additions to your wardrobe and can be worn year-round! Also, to make denim more exciting, get some pieces with rips, crop variations, and different styles like boyfriend or mom jeans!  Here are a few of my favorite denim staples right now: AGOLDE Riley High Rise Straight Crop, Acne Studios Peg Light Blue Jeans, Urban Outfitters Jordan Denim Puffer Jacket, Urban Outfitters BDG Two To Tango Denim Sherpa Trucker Jacket, Golden Goose Superstar Denim Low-Top Sneakers.

3.   Bright Whites

White has often been stigmatized as a summer-only color, but I believe white clothes have a place beyond Labor Day. Bright white pieces can make any outfit look lighter and more spring forward. White pieces are also wardrobe staples that will transcend the elusive fashion cycle. Anything from white jeans to white sweaters to white boots will give you that desired spring look, but without sacrificing your warmth. Here are a few of my favorite white pieces to wear right now: Reformation Jessie Sweater, Free People Lita Slim-Leg Jeans, Stussy Aurora Chore Jacket, Tony Bianco Freddie Bootie, Urban Outfitters Wild Child Cat-Eye Sunglasses.

Everyone is eagerly anticipating for warm weather, jean shorts, and cute sandals, but while you wait, use these tips to help transition your winter wardrobe into a bright, spring-forward style! And, hey, maybe if we start dressing like it’s spring, warm weather will soon follow?

Sabrina is a junior in the college studying Philosophy, Politics, and Economics. Sabrina loves all things food; whether it be eating at every restaurant in center city, baking s'mores bars at home, or cooking up a chef quality dinner for friends! Other than food, Sabrina is a certified Vinyasa yoga instructor and can be seen frequently posting yoga shots on Instagram. In addition to food and yoga, Sabrina absolutely loves her pomsky pup, Mishka! @sabrinaleder @mishkapomsky @sabrinas_sweets