Style > Beauty

The Top 7 Korean Skincare Products To Get You Through the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

During the dry winter months, it’s imperative that we care for our skin and keep it well-hydrated. For college students, walking from class to class in the cold and windy weather can be extremely taxing on our skin, drying it out as the temperature drops. The key to protecting your skin is to implement some extra steps in your skincare routine and to consider investing in a few more products. Korean skincare is widely known for its plethora of amazing options; here are seven of my favorite Korean skincare products to keep your skin hydrated and supple during the winter.

Peach & Lily Power Calm Hydrating Gel Cleanser

Many people hear the word “hydration” and exclusively think about moisturizer, oils, and other secondary topical products. However, it’s important to use a cleanser with hydrating properties as well. If your cleanser strips or dries your skin, you’ll have to apply twice as much moisturizer and serum to compensate. However, this Peach & Lily Power Calm has no stripping effect at all. It’s a sulfate-free, clear gel cleanser that draws out impurities without disrupting the skin barrier. Therefore, it’s friendly to all skin types, which is an added bonus!

Klairs Fundamental Watery Oil Drop

When it comes to extremely dry skin, incorporating an oil or serum into your daily routine is a must. However, many people with oily to combination skin are wary of facial oils because they’re afraid they might clog their pores or make their skin even oilier. This Klairs Fundamental Watery Oil Drop is the perfect product for every skin type. Due to the water-based formula, this “oil” quickly absorbs into the skin without any sticky residue or oily finish, leaving your skin hydrated and nourished. It provides all the benefits of a hydrating oil without the oily feeling. Perfect for applying after cleanser!

Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb

Of course, the most important part of every winter-ready skincare regimen is a hydrating moisturizer. Although it may seem redundant, it’s essential that your moisturizer (especially for the wintertime) is truly hydrating, and this one from Belif is a perfect fit! No matter what your skin type, this moisturizer will immediately leave your skin feeling refreshed due to its lightweight gel formula. But, for those with extremely dry skin, The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb might be an even better option. This moisturizer has a whipped texture that claims to provide up to 26 hours of deep hydration.

Laneige Water Sleeping Mask

When your skin is feeling especially lackluster, applying an overnight mask such as this Laneige Water Sleeping Mask is helpful. This is also a product that works for all skin types and provides intense overnight hydration. You simply apply your usual skin care products and then smooth this on over your moisturizer before going to sleep. In the morning, you’ll wake up with a nicely hydrated, dewy complexion. Perfect for the winter months!

Glow Recipe Watermelon Sleeping Mask

Another great overnight mask is this option from Glow Recipe. This mask has all of the benefits of the Laneige mask plus the added ingredient AHA, which helps to smooth the skin. This hydrating mask also contains hyaluronic acid, which will help draw moisture into your skin and give you a glowing complexion. On top of all that, it has exfoliating properties for smoother skin.

Code Glokor M. Hydro Primer

If you wear makeup on a daily basis, it’s crucial that you start with a hydrating primer. Doing so will prevent makeup from settling into dry patches on your skin. This hydrating primer from Code Glokor will do the trick. The clear, lightweight primer preps the skin for makeup by laying down a hydrating base. The slight tacky finish (that soon dissipates) also grips any foundation or base you apply on top.

Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask

Finally, your lips. Due to the winter dryness, my lips are constantly chapped, so a lip balm of some sort is a must. This lip mask from Laneige is a lifesaver and has quickly become my holy grail product. Whenever your lips feel like they need a little extra attention, applying this will make them instantly feel hydrated, moisturized, and supple. Though this product is called a lip sleeping mask, it can be used as a regular lip balm. And an added bonus: Laneige recently released new limited edition holiday flavors (potentially a great stocking stuffer!)

These seven products will definitely keep your skin feeling soft, supple, and hydrated in the midst of the chilly, windy winter weather. But don’t just stop with your skin— make sure to keep your body hydrated as well!

Minjee Cho

U Penn '23

Minjee is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania studying biology. She is from Malvern, Pennsylvania and loves golfing, cooking, and makeup. She is also very passionate about journalism and women's empowerment.