Top 10 Ways to Beat Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Finals are almost over and it’s time to celebrate! Finally, after all the work you’ve put into studying at VP, you get to relax and have a good time. But at Penn, it seems like all you can afford is one night of celebrating and then you’re onto the next big paper, presentation, midterm, or—for some—an internship.

Personally, I stress over everything, even the smallest quiz or short assignment. I have trouble relaxing and taking advantage of the small breaks in between midterms that we get. I was like this all through high school, but I’ve finally figured out ways to relax and relieve some of that stress.

Going out to dinner with some friends, going to Blarney’s for a few drinks or even just treating yourself to a movie or an Insomnia cookie are great ways to relax and enjoy yourself. But if you really need to unwind, there are a few other methods health experts swear by. Some of them are a little harder than others, but they all do work, and some of them are even a little fun. Combining a few of these methods helps even more!

• Eating healthy gives you a lot of energy to focus and get a lot of work done. It also puts you in a better mood. The best stress-relieving foods are blueberries, salmon and almonds.
  • Exercise releases endorphins in your brain, which improves your mood. It also gives you some time alone and makes you focus on something else other than school work. Plus, exercising still counts as being productive (who doesn’t want to look good for summer?).
  • Limiting Internet and cell phone use: I know it’s hard to avoid Facebook and Twitter, especially because there are so many different ways to access them. By limiting your use of the Internet and your cell phone, you are able to escape from all stressors and really focus on relaxing or on work.
  • Organizing your life: I find that making a schedule for myself and setting goals helps me calm down a little bit and makes me feel productive, especially when I’m finding it hard to focus.
  • Sleep: Making sure you get a good balance of sleep is the most important and effective way to reduce stress. It may sound dumb, but giving yourself a bedtime and setting an alarm for the morning at the same time every day helps with organizing your life and with making sure you’re getting the optimal amount of sleep.
  • Meditation only takes a few minutes a day and can do wonders to your stress levels. Just sit in a quiet place for 15-30 minutes, close your eyes and let your thoughts go. Focus on your breathing and try to slow your heart rate. This online resource from UCLA can help guide you through.
  • Massages help release the built up tension in your shoulders and back from hunching over your laptops.
  • Aromatherapy: it has been proven that some smells can relieve stress and improve your mood. The best ones are lavender, cypress and rosemary. I have a lavender perfume that I put on my wrists when I feel stressed out, and it helps a lot.
  • Acupuncture: I have chronic migraines, and I’ve tried acupuncture to cure them. It’s believed that stress causes a disruption of energy flow in the body, and places of tension and strain build up in different parts of your body. Acupuncture helps free the blockage and restore your body’s natural energy flow. 
  • Sex is thought to reduce stress as well! If you have a partner, take advantage of it. It helps take your mind off of other things and releases endorphins to put you in a better mood!

HC readers: What do you do to relieve stress?