To Thrift or Not to Thrift? Shopping in Philadelphia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

That’s not too much of a question. Thrift Stores and Consignment Shops contain the best kind of shopping. Not only are you giving back to the community, as most of these stores are charitable, but you also get the chance to purchase something completely unique for yourself that no one else will have.

Around campus, you’ve probably heard someone talking about Buffalo Exchange.  Located at 1713 Chestnut Street, just north of Rittenhouse, the store is somewhat convenient and definitely worth checking out. 
The first Buffalo Exchange opened in Tucson, Arizona back in 1974, and it was the only known store that bought and sold clothing items on consignment. Now they have 41 stores nationwide (that’s more than Bloomingdale’s!), and we’re very lucky to have one right here in Philadelphia.

Buffalo Exchange is located at 17th and Chestnut streets

The store isn’t just about clothing, though. Buffalo Exchange is committed to philanthropy. They give back to the United States Humane Society and various other environmental organizations. Currently, up until Earth Day, you can bring in any fur items to a store and specify it as a gift for Coats for Cubs, which provides comfortable bedding to orphaned or injured wildlife. 

However, Buffalo Exchange is committed to fashion as well. When you walk into the store, you encounter a large (recently doubled in size!), brightly lit room full of racks upon racks of really cool clothes. Perhaps due to the types of customers the store’s image and reputation attracts, Buffalo Exchange will not offer you an experience similar to some other consignment shops that you may have encountered in the past. It’s not just about piles of moth-bally, smelly clothes that look like something your grandma wore just last week.  Everything at Buffalo is trendy, and it’s nearly impossible to leave the store without buying something. Better yet, the salespeople are always looking for new in-season clothes, so you can drop off some of the clothes you haven’t worn in awhile, make some money, and share your style with the rest of Philadelphia while picking up something new to you. Guilt-free shopping!

Perhaps because of Buffalo Exchange’s influence, Philadelphia is surprisingly a great town for fun vintage finds. There are a bunch of amazing boutiques down in Old City, most of which have stocked vintage corners that you absolutely don’t want to miss. A personal favorite of mine is Vagabond at 37 N 3rd Street. This store has the perfect mix of brand-new and vintage clothing. The new pieces are mostly online, but take a trip downtown one weekend to fully peruse their vintage collection. Finally, a little closer to campus, Toviah Thrift Shop is located at 42nd and Chestnut and has the perfect thrifting atmosphere. The shopkeeper, Toviah, is a kindly and fun Native American man who is all-too-eager to regale you with tales of his heritage and commitment to Christianity. He even holds youth group sessions for local children! Though you may not find a lot in clothing in his store, he has an extensive selection of old books and vinyl.

So, to answer the question: definitely thrift. There’s no doubt that you’ll have fun on your own fashion treasure hunt.

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.