The Top 5 Friends Episodes Featuring Gunther

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

The incredibly popular ‘90s sitcom Friends ran for over 200 episodes. When the series finale aired on May 6, 2004, it was watched by around 52.5 million American viewers. This made it the fifth most–watched series finale in television history and the most–watched television episode of the 2000s. Friends drew fans from all around the world and continues to do so to this day. 

Everyone knows about Rachel and Ross’ love story, Phoebe’s songs, and Chandler’s sense of humor; however, a more minor but still beloved part of the show is the character Gunther, who was played by James Michael Tyler. Gunther worked at the coffee shop Central Perk, a major setting for most of the show; the character had an unrequited love for Jennifer Aniston’s character, Rachel Green. Gunther appeared in 148 out of the total 236 episodes of Friends, making him the show’s most prevalent recurring character. 

Sadly, James Michael Tyler passed away from cancer on October 24, 2021. In the hopes of honoring his memory and contributions to the show, below are the top five episodes that featured Gunther. Throughout all ten seasons of the show, Gunther is a beam of positivity and love (perhaps bordering on obsession), and he made every episode he was a part of that much more interesting. 

So, here are five must–watch episodes that highlight Gunther! 

“Season 2, Episode 19: The One Where Eddie Won’t Go”

We never learn much about Gunther’s past, but in this episode we learn some random facts about him. When Joey is upset about being killed off from the soap opera he stars in, he orders a lemonade from Gunther and shares his troubles. 

At this moment, Gunther shares his own tragedies, like “I was buried in an avalanche,” thoroughly eclipsing Joey’s own. He also shares that he used to star on the long–running show, All My Children, making Joey’s woes all the worse.

Season 3, Episode 7: “The One With the Race Car Bed”

This episode’s cold open is iconic as it allows viewers to glimpse each of the six main characters’ thoughts as they listen to Ross talk about dinosaurs. Obviously, nobody actually cares about what Ross is saying. However, Gunther’s thoughts interrupt the scene as he looks at Rachel and thinks, “What does Rachel see in this guy? I love Rachel. I wish she was my wife.” This was the first time viewers found out about Gunther’s infatuation, and Tyler’s facial expressions really make this moment iconic.

Season 4, Episode 22: “The One With the Worst Best Man Ever”

This episode gives us not one, but two, notable Gunther moments. The first is when Ross and Joey are discussing Ross’ bachelor party, and the two of them are forced to invite Gunther because he “heard the whole conversation.” 

The second moment is during the actual bachelor party when Chandler claims Gunther as his future best man. Gunther asks him if he even knows his last name. The punch line of this joke lies in how meta it is because although Gunther is a staple of the show, there’s only so much either the characters or audience learn about him during ten seasons. 

Chandler’s response to the question is what actually gets the laugh as he guesses Gunther’s last name is “Central Perks” — the only thing we really ever know about the character.

Season 5, Episode 21: “The One With the Ball”

This episode is so wack and out of character, and Gunther gets one of the best laughs at the end of the episode.

While Ross, Chandler, and Monica throw a ball around for hours, Rachel decides to buy a furless “show cat” for $1,500. Unfortunately, it turns out that the cat isn’t nice, and the only person willing to buy it is Gunther, who pays an extra $500.

When he shows up at the iconic apartment, he asks Ross, “So what is this, some kind of snake or something?” Again, Tyler’s expressions really elevate the comedy. 

“Season 10, Episode 17: The Last One”

While we’ve always known Gunther is in love with Rachel, he shares how he feels during the final episode, passionately confessing to Rachel before even Ross does. Gunther admits, “I love you. I don’t know if that changes your plans at all, but I thought you should know,” referring to Rachel’s plans to move to Paris.

The timing of this exchange is hilarious, but Rachel’s response is so genuine that it has become one of the most heartwarming moments of the show. 

“I love you too. Probably not in the same way. But I do. And when I’m in a café having coffee, or I see a man with hair brighter than the sun, I’ll think of you.” 

James Michael Tyler, you’ll always be in our thoughts as we continuously rewatch Friends. Thank you for creating some amazing television memories. 

Zoe is a Junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, she is majoring in Cinema and Media Studies as well as minoring in English and Russian Studies. She hails from London, England, and has loved being a part of HerCampus. She has a younger sister, and two Havanese dogs (both of whom she misses very much). When she is not studying, she is the Vice President of Penn Sirens (Penn’s Premier all-female acapella group), a performing member of the Musical Theatre and Light Opera Company ‘Penn Singers’, a mentor for ASAP (After School Arts Program), and was selected as a student liaison between the Annenberg center and the students involved in the arts on campus. Find her on Instagram @z.goldstein