Style

Sustainable Swimwear for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Summer is fast approaching, and with it comes all–day beach trips, pool hopping, and laying out in the sun for hours on end. It’s tempting to go online shopping for the countless swimsuit options you need for all your summer adventures. However, the brands below offer great, sustainable options to fulfill your summer dreams. 

Summer comes and goes each year, and swimsuits go through an extremely fast trend cycle. While it’s easy and affordable to resort to fast fashion for a trendy piece, these brands offer high–quality, lasting pieces to kickstart a summer season of sustainability. 

Ookioh

Starting our list off strong is Ookioh. This brand has its unique take on modern swimwear while simultaneously being made of 100% regenerated materials, including ocean waste. 

What makes this brand unique is its use of color! Ookioh isn’t afraid to add vibrant shades to their swimwear, from orange and lime green to electric blue. However, they also stick to the classics with timeless black and white pieces, perfect for long–term use. Ookioh’s prices range from medium to high, with tops and bottoms costing around $50 apiece and one pieces about $100. 

Some pieces to look out for are the Monaco Bottom, Waikiki One Piece, and Bora Top. The Monaco Bottom comes in four colors and offers a full coverage look. The o–ring details give the piece a vintage feel, and it can be paired perfectly with any top. 

The Waikiki One Piece is what gave this brand a push into the mainstream. Many celebrities, including Hailey Bieber, rock the Waikiki! What makes the piece unique is its structuring. The top includes underwiring, which adds dimension to this one piece.

Lastly, the Bora top offers a strapless and strap–on option, making the piece more versatile. The adorable bow detail in the front ties the gorgeous piece together. 

If bikinis aren’t your thing, don’t worry! The company offers swim tops, which are basically tank tops made of swimwear material. The tops come in just as many colors and serve as an excellent bikini alternative.

Baserange

Next on the list is a smaller brand, Baserange. Started in 2012, Baserange offers modern basics. Working with sustainable vendors, they create high–quality products by incorporating both natural fibers and recycled items. The brand believes in the power of clean products to help minimize their environmental impact. They also employ models from a variety of backgrounds to promote the idea that sustainability is really for everyone. 

Baserange’s swimwear collection is a bit smaller. However, the size of the collection doesn’t stop them from creating standout pieces. What makes their collection unique is their use of metallics. You can see their unique metallic purple shade throughout the entire line. Their prices are slightly more expensive than Ookioh, with tops costing around $80, bottoms around $60, and one pieces being $145.

The Mississippi Swimsuit from this brand is a perfect option for the summertime. Made from 92% recycled material, it features the futuristic purple color that makes the pieces from this brand unique. The shininess of the swimsuit will definitely make you stand out at any summer cookout. This one piece offers full coverage, so it’s perfect for any family adventures. Also, one pieces are ideal because they can be transformed into bodysuits. Pair the Mississippi with straight–leg Levis, and now you’re ready for a semi–casual dinner. You can also get this one piece in bikini form!

Aro

Last, but certainly not least, is Aro swimwear. The brand offers just as many options as Ookioh, but has a more muted color palette. This eco–friendly brand is designed in sunny Los Angeles, California and boasts that it uses deadstock fabric and compostable packaging to promote ethical manufacturing practices. 

Some great pieces from Aro include the Luca Bottom, Laura Top, and the Danielle One–Piece. To start, the Luca Bottom gives a “cheeky” coverage, which makes it a perfect option for tanning. The ruched elements and oversized straps make the piece! Although it comes in three colors, the light yellow has an undeniable cheeriness. 

There are also many things to love about the Laura Top, and the fact that it’s on sale might be one of the best! The Laura rocks exposed stitching, giving the bikini more stylistic depth. The classic triangle cut out makes it so you can wear the piece for summers to come. Though it comes in four colors, the chocolate is my personal favorite.

Lastly, the Danielle One Piece offers the same versatility as the Laura, but with more coverage. It’s also on sale right now!

These three sustainable brands offer some great replacements for fast fashion, just in time for summer. Although the affordability of fast fashion brands is appealing, remember that these brands are great investments made from high quality and sustainable materials. All the swimsuits are available now!

Jada Gritton

U Penn '24

Jada Gritton is studying PPE with an intended minor in Gender Studies. She enjoys reading, cooking, and listening to music and is excited to join the HerCampus team.