Spring Fling Fashion Do’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Okay ladies, Spring Fling time has arrived!!!! Prepare for what should be one of the most epic weekends of your Penn careers. This year’s theme is “Fling Never Tasted So Sweet” and it promises to numb your senses. The official Spring Fling kick-off is technically on Friday, April 13th, but something tells me some of us will let our sweet tooth get the better of us. Trained Spring Fling veterans start their celebrations as early as Wednesday. But I digress! This is not a blog to rant about our approaching weekend of lasciviousness. The key to Spring Fling epicness is preparation. The line between classy and trashy will be crossed over and over again but let’s at least try to keep it together, ladies.

Read more about UPenn Spring Fling!

Clothing

Fling has no rules—wear what you want:  Jeans, shorts, skirts, dresses, overalls, etc.: it’s a free-for-all. You might get a stare but, trust me, no one will judge. The weather this year will be a bit cool but don’t you start packing on your heavy sweatshirt or coats just yet. A light jacket or cardigan should be more than enough to keep you warm.

This year’s candy theme encourages bright, neon-colored clothing. Add some color to your outfit with bright neon accessories, and don’t be afraid to wear those colored jeans or shorts I know you’ve been saving for a special occasion.

Accessories

Let’s talk shoes- my personal obsession. You’ll probably be on your feet (for the majority of the time) so dress accordingly. I suggest a nice pair of sandals or flats. The one major warning is beware of open toed shoes. You will get spilled on and you will step on multiple liquids, some of which you won’t be able to identify.

Shades

It’s sunny! And let’s face it everyone looks good in a nice pair of sunglasses. Rock a cheap pair for fling so you won’t care much if you break or misplace them.

Handbag

Every lady needs a small clutch to put her most important items in. You don’t want to be carrying around anything to valuable. The most important items: Penn card, phone, keys, money (cash preferably), and maybe a camera.

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.