This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Whether you’re going on a family adventure, a vacation with close friends, or a wild trip with some college buddies, packing can be stressful. For many of us, spring break comes up right after rounds of midterms, essays, and other assignments. However, packing doesn’t have to be a hassle. With a few simple hacks, you can master the art of packing effectively. 

Make a list 

The best way to ensure that all your essentials make it into your suitcase is to make your own personal list of what you need to bring. As you place each item into your suitcase, cross it off the list until you have everything. Having a list will ease the stress of remembering what you need at the last minute, especially for things you can’t always pack days in advance (makeup, toothbrush, etc.).

Protect your jewelry

There’s nothing worse than opening your jewelry box to see a clump of tangled necklaces and scattered earrings. One of the most useful hacks I’ve come across is to “hang” your necklaces on safety pins. Clipping a few necklaces around the latch piece of a pin will decrease the amount of tangling you have to deal with.

Bring a bag for laundry

After returning home from a relaxing vacation, having to sift through your suitcase and determine what clothes need to be laundered is not an ideal task. Bringing a bag for laundry — even something as simple as a garbage bag — allows you to separate dirty and clean clothes during vacation. If you want to take the extra step, feel free to bring two: one for lights and one for darks. Something this simple takes barely any effort but relieves a ton of post-vacation work.

Pack a bathing suit in your carry on

Ever since I was young, my mom always had me and my sister put one spare bathing suit in our carry on, especially for beach vacations. In the worst case scenario that your checked baggage gets lost, at least you can head to the beach and enjoy the sun right away. Hopefully this never happens, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Wear layers on the plane

My travel experience has taught me that plane temperatures can vary drastically. There have been instances where I’ve been sweating profusely and instances where I was snuggled up with the complimentary blanket for the entire plane ride. Wearing layers — sweatshirts, cardigans, thick socks – can help manage the unpredictable environment.

Bring a reusable water bottle

There are countless benefits to packing a reusable water bottle. From an environmental standpoint, reusable water bottles prevent the excess of plastic waste. Secondly, you don’t have to go through the hassle of throwing away your water before going through security. Additionally, most airports have water stations where you can refill your bottle for free!

Be strategic in organizing your suitcase

From packing cubes to folding, there are many different approaches to organizing a suitcase. In my opinion, some critical hacks include starting with heavier or bulkier items, such as shoes, at the bottom. This keeps the suitcase balanced and prevents dirt from your shoes spreading to other items. 

Next, utilize the space from your shoes to store other small items. I suggest rolling your socks and placing them inside the shoes. Finally, put the clothing you’re going to wear first on top. Whether you’re arriving at a hot beach and need a bathing suit or landing in the middle of the night and want pajamas, this hack will prevent the hassle of rummaging through your suitcase right after travelling.

Make your suitcase stand out

Having a colored or patterned suitcase may seem odd, but it makes it easier to spot your bag at the luggage carousel. If this isn’t an option, simply adding some brightly-colored duct tape or ribbons will make your bag stand out so you don’t have to check every similarly-colored suitcase on the carousel. 

Avoid overpacking!

Many people struggle with the tendency to overpack. I personally never want to feel unprepared, so I feel obligated to bring every item I own…even if it’s a sweater on a beach vacation. In order to tackle this bad habit, I try to lay out everything I plan on bringing, and then I remove 5-10 items. This also leaves room if you happen to bring home souvenirs! 

Know what you need for your destination

One thing I learned when traveling internationally is to always have a pen handy. It sounds simple, but it saves so much hassle when you have to fill out customs and immigrations forms. Charging converters are also critical when traveling internationally. The prongs on U.S. chargers do not work in many other countries, so look into what converter you may need.

These easy steps can make packing for your vacation extremely simple, letting you focus on just enjoying your time off!

Sydney Woods

U Penn '23

Sydney is a pole vaulter and also loves traveling and water sports.