A Sartorial Guide to Christmas & New Year’s

It’s that time of year again. Let the carols, the turkeys, the shopping, the Bergdorf Christmas displays, and—last but not least—the festivities themselves commence! But what to wear to these festivities? Don’t worry, we have you covered. From Christmas to New Year’s, every holiday has a different vibe. Here’s how to sartorially slide through these holidays with effortless style and holiday spirit.

Christmas Eve

Alice + Olivia coat and dress, Fossil clutch, Oscar de la Renta earrings, Ralph Lauren boots

Christmas Eve is rife with activity and excitement. Whether you’re going to a party with friends or a Christmas pageant, Christmas Eve is the night to impress. Glam it up! Christmas comes but once a year, after all. Dazzle them with a simple bright red wrap dress accessorized with small amounts of holiday appropriate greens, reds and sparkles. Winter is the season for boots, so wear a nice patent leather pair and keep the clutch simple—the point is to sparkle, not to blind people. If the venue is less formal, wear a Santa hat or reindeer antlers. Who cares if it’s clichéd—it’s Christmas! Campiness is part of the deal. For a finishing touch, don’t forget a gift, lest you look like the Grinch.

Christmas Day

iCandyClothing sweater, Alice + Olivia skirt, headband from Etsy, Liberty mug, Urban Outfitters socks, Tory Burch boots

Unlike Christmas Eve, Christmas day is, for most people, a lot more relaxed. Gift opening, lazy days with new gadgets, religious services, movies and dinner with the family. It’s best to keep it cozy yet still exude the holiday spirit that’s been building for weeks (let’s face it, we all compiled our Christmas playlists the day after Halloween). Cozy tacky Christmas sweaters, comfy plaids, knee socks and a cute mug are perfect for lounging and playing new video games, reading by the fireside or baking cookies. Flat boots will keep your feet warm for making snowmen or declaring snowball war. 

New Year’s Eve

Nelly dress, glasses from PartyCity, Nars lipstick, Kate Spade clutch and shoes

Everyone knows New Year’s Eve is about sparkle, sequins and champagne. Try to stand out from the crowd by opting for a sheer tulle dress with lace overlay. It’ll stand out from the sea of body-con sequin dresses and still maintain a dramatic edge for NYE parties. Channel the sparkles and champagne into clever accessories, don 2014 glasses and prepare for that midnight kiss with a gorgeous red lip. Take classic New Year’s Eve motifs and style them creatively to differentiate yourself yet still look like you’re ready for a NYE party—which of course, you’re totally up for. Why else would you be wearing sparkly gold pumps?