PSSSTT…It’s Penn Fashion Week 2014!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

The clamor of heels and camera snaps has temporarily died down at Lincoln Center, and all of those Fashion Week street style photos have stopped showing up on your favorite blogs; that’s right, New York/ London/Milan/Paris Fashion Weeks (more like Fashion Month) are over for now. But at Penn, fashion week is just beginning.

In its 8th anniversary year, the Ivy League’s premier fashion event, hosted by DSP Business frat, Penn Fashion Collective, and Wharton Retail Club, has a week of events, giveaways, and contests designed to delight fashion nerds in every sense, literally – this year’s theme is the “5 Senses.” Intrigued? Keep an eye out for these sense-ational Penn Fashion Week events:

Sight: Opening Night with Glamour, TeenVogue, and CollegeFashionista

Monday, March 31

5:30-7:30 p.m.; Hall of Flags in Houston Hall

Penn Fashion Week starts off with industry leaders Lauren Smith Brody (Executive Editor at Glamour), Naomi Nevitt (Online Editorial Director, Teen Vogue), and Amy Levin (Founder, CollegeFashionista) discussing what it takes to “stay relevant, trendy, and fashionable”! A style shoot starts off the event, followed by a reception and networking, so come looking photoshoot ready!

Giveaway prizes include: Rent the Runway cosmetics, Kipling handbags, and official Penn Fashion Week totebags.

Scent: Discovering the Fragrance Industry

Tuesday, April 1

6-7 p.m.; JMHH 260

Join Macy’s fragrance buyers Vanessa Coppola and Dennis Labbancz to see how new fragrances are launched from start to finish at Macy’s. Learn how the process at a national department store like Macy’s is different from other retailers.

Giveaway prizes include: full-sized fragrance bottles and an iPad Mini.

Taste: Emerging Trends from Retail to Food

Wednesday, April 2

6-7 p.m.; JMHH G60

Pinkberry’s head of Global Real Estate an Business Development, Ryan Patel, will be discussing emerging trends in retail to the food industry.

Free Pinkberry will be served at this event!

Keynote: Brand Capitalization with Barneys New York

Thursday, April 3

4:30-6 p.m.; SHDH 350

Richard Perry (CEO and Managing Director of Perry Corporation, which owns Barneys NY), Mark Lee (CEO of Barneys NY), and Daniella Vitale (COO of Barneys NY) will present on Brand Capitalization: Creativity, Innovation, and Adaptability.

Touch: Product Design with Grungy Gentlemen

Friday, April 4

2-3 p.m.; JMHH 265

Jace Lipstein (Founder, Grungy Gentleman and HSTRY, his new line with Nas) will be discussing design, materials, textures, sourcing, and inspiration. He’ll also be joined by Sofia Juarez (Managing Editor, GrungyGentleman.com) and Matthew Herbert (Account Executive, GrungyGentleman.com) to speak about GrungyGentleman.com, his fashion blog/e-commerce platform for his clothing lines.

Giveaway prizes include: Kipling handbags and Weddington Way gift cards.

Sound: Annual Fashion Show – Rave New World + DJ Lessons with STADJ

Saturday, April 5

7:30-9 p.m.; Bodek Lounge in Houston Hall

The annual Spring 2014 Fashion show is the culminating event of Penn Fashion Week, and ties into Sound perfectly with the theme “Rave New World.” Bring your glowsticks, crazy hair, and appreciation for 90s rave/grunge/punk revival and get ready to rave! The fashion will be wild, and so will the music – professional model and DJ, DJ Rahma, who is also part of STADJ (a first-in-class female DJ production company), will be performing at the show.

After the show, she will be giving DJ lessons to 10 lucky VIP attendees.

Instagram Contest

In addition to all of these spectacular events and giveaways, Penn Fashion Week is also hosting an #OOTD Instagram Contest.

What: The week of Penn Fashion Week (March 31-April 5), they’ll be giving away a prize at the end of each day to the submitted Instagram OOTD with the most ‘likes.’

How: Submit a chic OOTD via Instagram, tag @PennFashionWeek with the hashtag #stylecontest, and the photos will be uploaded to Facebook for people to ‘like.’ The person with the most overall ‘likes’ by Friday will receive the grand prize and be featured on CollegeFashionista.com and TheWalkMagazine.com.

The Fabulous Prizes: Prizes will be from Calvin Klein, Warby Parker, Dagne Dover, Kipling, Audabon Bakeshop, J.P. Crickets, and more! Posts are eligible to win only one day of the week, and anyone can win the grand prize on Friday regardless of weekday wins. Anyone — including the Friday grand prize winner and weekday winners — is eligible to win the final prize on Saturday.

Submit your OOTDs ASAP for a chance to win some major swag!

To learn more about Penn Fashion Week, watch the stylish promotional video, visit their website to see the scheduled line-up, check out the Instagram to see OOTD entries (or submit your own!), and stop by Facebook, where you can RSVP to events!

Images courtesy of: PennFashionWeek.com; Penn Fashion Week Facebook.