Penn Restaurants – A Starter Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Dear Freshmen (and Transfer Students),

I don’t know about you, but when I first got to Penn I was overwhelmed by everything that both the school and Philly had to offer. Over and over again I got: “Philly has the best restaurants. You HAVE to try ALL of them!”

However, figuring out even the basics of Penn in complicated and time consuming. I was too preoccupied with figuring out how to navigate Penn In Touch and meet with my advisor – I had no time to even think about figuring out which restaurants to try first. While upperclassmen swarmed around me talking about “the f-ing amazing budino from Barbuzzo,” or “the perfect hangover cure at Metro,” I ate salads at Commons, dreaming about the delicious food I could be eating somewhere else, and wishing someone would just give me a guide with which restaurants to try first.

Which is why I made this list for you, today is your lucky day! Here are 10 of my favorite restaurants that I insist you try before your first year at Penn is over! Enjoy and you’re welcome! 

1.     Greek Lady

Where: 222 S. 40th Street

Perfect For: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

Must Try: Grilled Chicken Platter

2.     Metropolitan Bakery (Metro)

Where: 4013 Walnut Street

Perfect For: Breakfast

Must Try: Any Egg Wrap of Your Choice

3.     Distrito

Where: 3945 Chestnut Street

Perfect For: Dinner

Must Try: Guacamole and Mahi Mahi Tacos

4.     Harvest

Where: 200 S. 40th Street

When: Dinner

Must Try: Spicy Tofu Stir Fry

5.     Hip City Veg

Where: 214 S. 40th Street

When: Dinner

Must Try: The Groothie, Banana Whips and Arugala Taco Salad

Ed. Note: the sweet potato fries omg

6.     Zavino

Where: 3200 Chestnut Street

When: Dinner

Must Try: Spaghetti Squash and Brussels Sprouts

7.     Parc

Where: 227 S. 18th Street

When: Brunch

Must Try: Oatmeal Brulée

8.     Green Eggs Café

Where: 212 S. 13th Street

When: Brunch

Must Try: Any Omelete of Your Choice and Red Velvet Pancakes

9.     Barbuzzo

Where: 110 S. 13th Street

When: Dinner

Must Try: Verdure Pizza and Salted Caramel Budino

10.  Audrey Claire

Where: 276 S. 20th Street

When: Dinner

Must Try: Brussels Sprouts and Salmon

Undergraduate student in the class of 2016 at The University of Pennsylvania studying English and Journalism. Avid triathlete. Aspiring ironman (woman). Lover of all things food and/or fitness related. Dog lover (especially my toy poodle, Martini).