Penn Fashion Week Executive Director, Lennie Zhu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

In this installment of Campus Celebrity, we sat down with Lennie Zhu, the one and only Executive Director of the amazing Penn Fashion Week. This native New Yorker spoke to us about what inspires her style, her most embarrassing fashion moment, and the importance of fashion in her life. 

Name: Lennie Zhu

Year: 2014

Hometown: Dix Hills, New York 

Personal Style: Simple, quality cuts with accents such as royal colors and statement jewelry 

Go-To Outfit: Black Uniqlo jeggings with an angled red leather jacket and a deep yellow scarf from Malaysia 

Most Embarrassing Fashion Moment: I was once on the NYC Metro wearing a lace dress over a black bodycon skirt. Somehow, the skirt had hiked up, and I mean REALLY HIKED UP (the dangers of short skirts) since we had left a restaurant a good half hour earlier. I only realized that I had been walking around mooning the entire New York population when my friend freaked out and pointed it out to me. 

Her Campus: What are you involved with on campus?

Lennie Zhu: On campus, I’m a proud member of Delta Sigma Pi business fraternity, the Executive Director of Penn Fashion Week, and am currently conducting 2 consulting projects for one well-known retail startup and one luxury retailer. 

HC: What role does fashion play in your life?

LZ: I view style as a way to externalize my values and personality, not only for others to see, but to remind myself on a daily basis of who I am and who I want to be. I can often be found in a plain cami tucked into high-waisted black jeggings because I find that to be a reflection of my belief in living simply and comfortably. My earring and scarf collections, which make up the majority of my accessories, are comprised of items purchased all over the world during my travels, and each piece reminds me of a special moment or person. Although I love fashion and new trends, I always say that one’s clothing should not hide whom one is, but reveal the person that lies beneath. 

HC: Who are your biggest style inspirations?

LZ: I love the Olsen twins (The Row is amazing) and Alexander Wang! Currently also obsessed with Lupita Nyong’o, but who isn’t? 

HC: What was your favorite part of planning Penn Fashion Week?

LZ: I’ve loved seeing the incredible public response to our Instagram style contest and our Awl & Sundry shoe design contest. At the end of the day, I want to get people excited about fashion and this has been an amazing way of making fashion really accessible to everyone. Plus, getting 25 Facebook notifications every 10 minutes makes me feel popular! ;) 

HC: What part of Penn Fashion Week are you most excited for?

LZ: The events, of course! They’re the reason why we do all of this, and having such a big hand in planning them only makes me appreciate them more. I’ll never think of conferences in the same way now that I know- in painstaking detail- exactly how much work goes into putting them together. 

HC: How can people find out more about Penn Fashion Week?

LZ:Check us out at www.facebook.com/pennfw, as well as at our official website www.pennfashionweek.com! Can’t wait to see you all at the events this week!