One Dress, Four Ways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

We all have it perpetually hanging in our closet—the one dress that we love to try on in front of the mirror but never have an occasion for. We think it’s too formal for class, but too summery for any event in the winter. By the end of the academic year, we bring it back home unworn. The solution to this is accessorizing. Never underestimate your ability to dress something up or down (unless, of course, you’re breaking out the sweatpants for a date night). Here’s how to make that dress fit any occasion.

Let’s say it’s winter and you have a date night or a dinner. It’s just way too cold, right? Wrong. Throw on a dark cardigan, some tights and sexy closed-toed pumps, and you’re good to go.  ewelry is key, so make sure to put on some bangles, a delicate necklace or some stunning dangling earrings. If your dress errs on the side of informal, make sure everything else you wear dresses it up. It’s best to wear metal jewelry that looks upscale. Add a clutch or small pocketbook to finish off the outfit. And don’t forget the golden rule: When you’re ready to go, remove one accessory. I may have mentioned three types of jewelry, but usually just one will do the trick. And remember the key makeup rule: Either intense lips or intense eyes, but not both. Now you’re looking formal!

Trying to wear that dress on a casual class day in the fall? Just throw one those tights again, but pair them with combat boots or riding boots.  Keep the makeup light and natural. For a trendy fall look, add an army green jacket or a casual leather jacket. Keep the jewelry casual as well. A bunch of leather bracelets or a necklace on a string would look great.

Let’s say it’s a warm summer day. You want to wear your dress to class, but the top is too revealing or you just feel too “fancy”. Just pair it with a denim jacket, and it’s instantly casual! Having your hair up may seem formal, while having it down seems a bit too carefree. For class, the best option is half-up, half down. Add a pair of flats or if you really want to look casual, fun and cute, go for some flat sneakers like Keds or Converse. 

There’s always the event of the summer dinner date, where this comes perfectly in handy.  Grab some wedges and let your hair down (literally). If you want to do something creative with your hair, go for a fishtail braid or a high bun. Dangling earrings or gold bangles will go great here. If it gets cold, throw on a light cardigan or shrug. And make sure your nails are painted a cute bright color to go with the season! (Note: If it’s a lunch date, the rules are pretty much the same—just go with lighter makeup and gladiator sandals rather than wedges)

Modeled by Kanika Sawhney

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn