Style > Beauty

My Top 7 Drugstore Makeup Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

I first started using makeup for dance. As a kid, I participated in Indian classical dance, and we had to wear heavy stage makeup for performances. The bright lipstick, thick eyeliner, and vibrant blush always made me so excited to perform. Though I don’t do looks like that anymore,I still enjoy using makeup for fun and have become more familiar with lots of different products over the years. 

Unfortunately, makeup can get very expensive very fast. Suddenly, you’re paying $100 for two products at Sephora, and you’re not really sure if it’s worth it. Sometimes makeup can be a good investment, but thinking about budgeting is also important! It’s important to me to save money where I can, especially as a college student. 

I absolutely love drugstore makeup, because you can get great products for half the price of what you’d find at specialized makeup stores like Sephora. After testing so many products, I feel like I’ve also found some drugstore makeup essentials. Here are a few of my favorites!

All prices from Target.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer

$7.39

I’ve used this concealer for two years now, and it’s my go–to. As someone with dark under-eye circles and lots of hyperpigmentation, this concealer has been the best for keeping a “natural” look and covering those areas. It’s a light–to–medium coverage concealer that doesn’t dry out my skin! 

L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Mascara

$8.69

This mascara comes in both waterproof and non–waterproof versions and works so well! It never makes my eyelashes clump together and doesn’t dry out in its container either. It’s also great for both a natural or “going out” look, depending on what you’re feeling.

e.l.f. Instant Lift Eyebrow Pencil

$3.00

e.l.f has always been a go–to brand for me because of their prices. They have great products you can test out on yourself for low prices. This brow pencil is one of their best! It’s dual–sided, with a brush on one end and the pencil on the other—giving you a convenient and versatile product to keep in your bag.

Milani Baked Blush

$8.89

Blush has gotten really trendy recently, and this is definitely one of my favorites. I usually prefer cream or liquid blushes, but this powder blush is truly unbeatable. It’s very vibrant and adds the perfect pop of color to any look. It’s also super easy to carry around, because it’s in a small compact!

Wet n Wild Megalast Breakup-Proof Liquid Eyeliner

$4.99

Wet n Wild is always a fun brand, because of their cheap, colorful lip and eye products that you can use for adventurous looks. They also have one of the best liquid eyeliners! 

If you’re looking for liquid eyeliner that truly doesn’t move, look no further. This eyeliner stays on for a very long time and glides on super smoothly. It’s perfect for getting a sharp wing while still staying on budget.

Maybelline SuperStay Ink Crayon Lipstick

$9.99

This lipstick is my go–to. It’s a lip crayon you can reapply easily, and it doesn’t dry out your lips at all. As the last step in my routine, it always completes my overall look. There’s a wide range of colors, so you can decide whether you want something natural or a super bright look. 

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water

$7.99

Putting on makeup is a great time, but it’s also important to take it off at the end of your day. Skincare is super important, and one of the best ways to take care of your skin is to always remove your makeup before you sleep. I have really sensitive, eczema–prone skin, so makeup wipes have never been great for me. Micellar water is perfect for taking off your makeup smoothly and quickly, and it also doesn’t irritate your skin. I love it so much, and highly recommend it :)

Hopefully, you enjoy these products as much as I do! Have fun doing your makeup!

Dhatri is a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania who is majoring in Networked and Social Systems Engineering. She's from Michigan, but she's super excited to be spending the next four years in Philly. When she isn't journaling or cooking, you can probably find her somewhere eating ice cream, painting her nails, and listening to Ariana Grande.