My Future, Wide Open

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

“Do you know what you’re doing after graduation?” It seems like an innocent enough question but I’d honestly rather answer literally anything else. We all know it’s not acceptable to just say “no”. Well, I suppose you could, but then the person who was addressing you is going to get flustered and feel the need to console you because you’re a disgrace to your family’s name and honestly should move off the grid for a bit because your five-year plan is now WAY off course.  You might as well throw in the towel, right?

For what it’s worth, my answer to that question is “I don’t know!” I don’t know what I want to do after graduation. And no, it’s not because I can’t decide between taking my summer offer or pursuing another avenue via OCR. I don’t have any offer. I’m even considering taking out more student loans and applying to grad school. I don’t know where I’ll be headed after graduation, and that’s ok. Actually, it’s more than fine, it’s super exciting! I understand that a job equals stability, and I’m genuinely happy for all of the fine people who do know where they will be come September, 2017. But I want people to realize that not knowing is just as valid a spot to be in right now. We are so young. We have so much ahead of us and while the myriad of opportunities available to us can be daunting, it is a privilege. Not knowing is an incredible privilege. I’m excited because I know I will find my way. I may not use the knowledge I gained in Geology 100, but I will rely on the experiences at Penn that have made me the strong, independent, and capable young woman that I am today. If you find yourself in a position like mine, don’t worry! We’re doing just fine.  

Lydia Roberts is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania.  She is majoring in Communication and minoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, and also in French Studies.  She is an enthusiastic member of an a capella group at Penn and has a affinity for sour gummy candy.